Chapter 1: Teen Years

A new day it came to be as the sun rose to the sky, shinning its bright light into the window of Varian's bedroom. His cuckoo went off, almost as if it was his own alarm clock, as he lifted from under the sheets, his dark hair frizzled and messy. His one blue streaked he'd gotten from one of his chemical combustions poked out from the side of his head. He smacked his lips together, letting out a large yawn and stretch as he wiped away whatever saliva he'd produced from the corner of his mouth. Instantly, he felt a pang in his prosthetic chest, quickly digging out the key to his heart from underneath his pillow, and winding himself up.

He took in a couple breaths of life, feeling satisfied once the pain had subsided. He suddenly perked up, remembering that today was a special day for him. He jumped out of bed excitedly, slipping into his slippers as he clumsily ran out his small bedroom and down the rickety-old stairs. As he jumped down from the last step, he was immediately greeted by Rapunzel and Cassandra—two village ladies who often visited Varian from time to time. They felt they owed it to the little genius, especially after he saved their lives.

Cassandra had lost her leg and Varian had repaired her a new wooden prosthetic at only the age of nine. Rapunzel had no problems really, except for her one canine tooth she'd lost after tripping over her own feet. Varian had replaced it with a silver one, which you could always see whenever Rapunzel gave off her signature smile. They had to admit, the kid was a genius.

"Raps, Cass, hello!" He greeted, giving both of them a quick hug before rushing into the kitchen, where his father was usually busy.

Cassandra and Rapunzel exchange goofy looks before following the little genius into the kitchen.

"You're just a ball of energy this morning, huh?" Cass stated the obvious, leaning on the doorframe casually.

Quirin looked behind him, smiling a little as his son finally sat down to eat the freshly baked pancakes he'd made.

Varian chomped up his food, talking to the two girls with his mouth full, "Of course I'm full of energy. It's my birthday today! My 13th one, at that. Which Dad said when I turn into an official teenager, I'm allowed to go to town with you guys!"

Cassandra sneers a little in disgust, seeing bits of food fly out of the young boy's mouth.

"Yes, yes, yes, just ... swallow before speaking."

Varian sheepishly laughed, quickly swallowing his food while walking over to the sink, throwing his dish in it lazily.

"Sorry. Where are my manners."

Rapunzel giggles at Varian's cuteness, but keeps quiet when Cassandra throws her a distasteful gaze. Quirin turns to his son in hesitance. He knew he made that promise a couple years ago, but he wasn't expecting Varian to actually remember it.

"Uh ... Varian, maybe you should hold off going into town this year."

Varian stood in place and gazed at his father curiously. "Why?"

"Well, I'm just not sure if you're ready to go out. I mean, you're still too young and you're still technically twelve until eight o'clock."

Varian gave off a pouted lip and he gruntled in disappointment.

"You never trust me with anything."

"That's not true. I trust you to keep up with some of the low-life costumers entering our home for repairs they can't afford."

Rapunzel and Cassandra throw Quirin nasty looks.

"Well ... I think he'll be just fine traveling with us," Cassandra butts in, crossing her arms.

"Yes, I agree! Plus, I have someone who's been dying to meet Varian." Rapunzel adds, showing off her silver tooth to the excited ten-year-old.

He turned to Rapunzel, asking, "Who?"

"You'll see her, once you get dressed and ready."

"Her?" Quirin piques in, tensing his shoulders.

"Whoohoo! Yes! I'll go get dressed now! Be right back," Varian said, making haste to his room.

Quirin hums lowly, pacing over to the two smug ladies. "You never told me he was meeting a girl."

"And you never told us we were poor low-lives," Cassandra snarkily commented.

Quirin sighed deeply, pinching the bridge of his nose. "I'm sorry. I wasn't referring to you two. But that's not what's important. You know why he doesn't go into town and meet new people, especially girls."

"Yes, we know. The three rules: Don't touch the clock hands, don't let him lose his temper, keep him away from any cute girls just in case he were to fall in the death trap of love, but he's been cooped up here for over ten years now. Don't you think he deserves a little more freedom, Quirin?" Rapunzel insists, giving him a calm look.

Quirin only turns his gaze to the ground, giving off a light shrug of his broad shoulders. "Perhaps. Who's the girl, anyway?"

"My friend's daughter, [F/N]. She's just come from a whole 'nother country with her mom. Said they'll need a place to stay while they work out on getting their permits. She's a very sweet girl, and I've told her many stories about Varian. She'll be pleasantly surprised to meet him today," Rapunzel answers, grinning from ear to ear.

Quirin sighs and waves his hand dismissively. "All right. I'll let him go. But you better keep a close eye on him. Both of you."

The two ladies nod, reassuring Quirin a little. The sounds of heavy footsteps entering the kitchen again alarm the three adults. Varian was dressed to a T, complete with a large smile showing off his bunny-like front teeth.

"Ready to go!" He cheered, balancing on the soles of his shoes.

Quirin's anxiousness grows in the pit of his stomach as he asks for a private word with his son. Cassandra and Rapunzel comply, leaving the kitchen and waiting by the front door. Quirin looks back at his son, then his cuckoo clock heart. He kneels down on one knee, buttoning up Varian's blazer as to try and hide the clock as best as possible. Varian rolls his eyes in annoyance, removing his father's hands from his blazer.

"Dad, I'll be fine, really. There's no need to worry about me."

"That's the thing. I'm your father, Varian. It's my duty to look after you."

"Yes, I know, but I'm getting older, you know. I can hold my own merits, can't I?"

Quirin stares at his son with uncertainty. "If you're really as prepared as you think you are, repeat the rules to me."

Varian sighs impatiently as his words come out as quick as lightening, "Never touch the hands of my heart, never lose my temper, and don't fall in love. Whatever that last one means ..."

"It's the most important rule, Varian! Being in love can really take a toll on your heart. The emotions that come with it are just ... too overbearing."

"But how could I possibly fall in love when I don't know anything of it?"

Quirin frowns in dismay, putting a hand to his son's shoulder while looking him in the eye.

"Just be careful is all I'm saying."

Varian slowly nods in understanding, giving his father a quick hug before scurrying off after Rapunzel and Cassandra, who were already out the door. Quirin walks up to the front, waving a farewell to the three of them while wishing them luck, hoping and praying that his child would be safe with them.