Chapter 2 - Choosing Ceremony

Leah's POV

I jumped on the train to the choosing ceremony a few minutes ago and as soon as I did, I sat on the floor with my head in my hand resting on my crossed legs. I know what I am going to have to do. In the eyes of Dauntless I will betray my faction and leave my family as well as my friends behind.

I have recently been considering going against the rebels and choosing Dauntless the faction where I was born, raised and grew up in. I know I have been stuck in my thoughts for too long when Marlene taps me on the shoulder. "Leah, we need to jump," she says with a frown on her face. She knows very well this may be the last time we ever see each other in person. I nod my head slightly and stand up.

"On three," Uriah says as he smiles slightly at me. "1, 2, 3," we jump the wind rushes through my loose brown hair for the last time. I land on the platform and roll till I am stable. I open my eyes, dust myself off and stand up. I turn to Marlene and Uriah the way they look at me conveys their sadness over me leaving. I walk up to them and pull them into a tight hug.

"I'm going to miss you guys. I love you and I promise to call. Tell the gang I said goodbye and tell four to get himself a girlfriend I can't handle him being sad anymore. Look after my mom. Okay? I have to leave I'm on the other side of the hall. Goodbye," before they can reply I leave because I know I would get too emotional and it would blow my cover.

I walk up to the sign in, desk give the Abnegation women my name and find my seat. This year the seats have been allocated randomly. I sit next to a tall Abnegation boy with brown hair and brown eyes he turns to look at me and we make eye contact. "Caleb," he says as he extends his hand. "Leah," I say as I shake it. I wonder what he will choose.

I look across the hall and spot my mother. She looks at me, winks and mouths, "I love you." I mouth it back and look away before the tear in my eye can spill over.

The ceremony starts with Marcus Eaton delivering his usual speech. Caleb begins to nervously play with his hands. I look at him, put my hands on top of his and say jokingly, "Relax its only for the rest of your life." He looks up at me, smiles and says, "Yeah, not so bad."

Marcus begins calling names. One by one the teenagers begin to devote their entire lives to a faction. "Caleb Prior" Marcus Eaton calls the handsome boy next to me smiles at me one more time and walks down the stairs. He takes the knife from Marcus and makes a small cut in his right hand. He holds it out over the bowl and without hesitation drops his blood into the erudite bowl that is filled with water. Giving the clear liquid a pink tinge. At least I will somewhat know someone when I transfer.

"Leah James," Marcus calls out and my stomach drops. I begin to walk down to the bowls and the whole of the dauntless faction cheers me on, after all I was the daughter of a leader. I know these cheers won't last long when I step onto the platform so I take them in for a few seconds and then reach my hand out to take the knife from Marcus.

With the knife in my right hand I touch the cool metal to my right palm and feel a small amount of pain shoot through my hand. The blood collects in my hand as it is stretched out above the erudite and Dauntless bowls. I take in a deep breath and place my hand over the Erudite bowl letting the collected blood stain the water redder than any other initiate. The cheers from the dauntless crowd fall silent and a look of shock appears on most of their faces.

The transfer of a dauntless member to erudite is unheard of and by dropping my blood in that bowl I have become the 3rd person to ever do so. I lift my head up and look away from the bowls my eyes meet that of Jeanine Matthews. The leader of my new Faction she is pleasantly surprised she smiles at me and raises an eyebrow. I slowly make my way over to the sea of blue that is the Erudite section of the choosing hall, I take time to look at the faces of my loved ones. My mother has shed a single tear but nods at me in support. Marlene is in tears a rare sight that makes my stomach feel as though it is in a knot. Uriah has a frown on his face but as his gaze meets mine, he winks and smiles slightly at me.

All I can think when I reach the Erudite section is what have I done, but then I think of my father and my whole demeanour changes. I walk straighter mentally wipe away my sorrows and go to stand next to Caleb in the empty initiate seat. He looks at me shocked. "Didn't expect that did you," I say as I look down. "That's for sure, but then again I barely know you." "I have a feeling that's going to change," I say and my big brown eyes meet his. "Me too," he says with a smile.

💕💕💕

Well that's chapter 2 hope ya liked it please show me some love its what motivates me to write. I love you. please vote and comment even if you are here 10 years after the chapter was written. see you soon.
-L
💕💕💕