Chapter 3 - Jake Peralta

[EPISODE 2]

"I'm just concerned you might find it difficult to pursue a criminal on foot while wearing man sandals," my father said, making me laugh

"I'm just concerned you might find it difficult to pursue a criminal on foot while wearing man sandals," my father said, making me laugh. "High five," I said as my father and I high fived, making Jake jealous. "You never do that with me," Jake said, sounding sad that he was left out. "Yes because unfortunately for you, she is my spawn," my father said in a deeper tone, sounding like a fairy tale villain. "Harvey, on the other hand, is defined by his sandals. He prefers to walk about in sandals." Jake expressed his dissatisfaction with my father's remark about his made-up character.

"Why are you babysitting, Captain? Why are you micromanaging me" Jake said "You think I want to be sitting here with you instead of running my precinct?" my father asked, irritated." "No, I'm here to keep eyes on Amelia, as I promised her father," my father added, and I lit up like a lightbulb. "I knew it," I blurted out, and they both stared at me. "What?" dad asked, puzzled. "Dad, I'm an adult; you don't need to check up on me, and I don't need Dad to check up on me," I said as I moved closer to him.

"Plus, Peralta, I've spent the last 12 years fighting for my first command, and I'm not going to let either of you screw it up because you refuse to take your job seriously," my father said before I interrupted him. "I take my job seriously," I said as I put my hand up but was immediately shut down by my father. "Amelia, don't interrupt me, as I was saying," my father said before Jake interrupted him, which seemed to irritate him even more.

Jake said, sounding irritated by what my father had said, "well, I do take you my work seriously." "I put away bad guys. That's what matters. That is what is important." Jake said "So does your paperwork, showing up on time," my father added as I talked, "and not wearing terrible shoes like those," I replied as I stared at his sandals. Jake turned away from my father and replied, "That's on Harvey, not me." "All right, so here's the deal for both of you," my father began, gazing at Jake first, then at me.

"Your both going to have a superior officer babysitting you on every one of your cases," my father said before I moaned. "Hey, I'm nothing like him, why do I need to be babysitting?" I asked, annoyed as I looked at my father. "Because your new and I need to know that you can do your job, and that you Peralta aren't going to mess anything up and show me that you can do your job perfectly, then I'll back off" my father said it in a serious tone, and I knew he meant everything he said, and we weren't going to get out of it.

"All right, counteroffer: I'll give you $50 and you let us do whatever we want." Jake attempted to sound intelligent. ""Fine. Jake just shut up," I responded as my father and I both looked at him before he spoke. We'll do it in your style " Jake said it irritably, as if a child had been informed by their parent that they couldn't do anything.

"From now on, I'm going to do everything perfectly, even better than perfectly." Jake said then my father began to talk, and I knew Jake was going to seem ridiculous at this point "It's much better. You used the word imperfectly in your statement." He stated "I was testing you did perfectly." Jake said, I sat back in my seat and sarcastically said, "since you two keep arguing over grammar, you might want to check outside the window," before jumping out of the car and pursuing the tagger.

Then both of them started coming after me till he came to a halt because I cornered him in an alleyway. "NYPD," I said as I drew out my credentials, "you're under arrest," I added as the other two approached the alleyway, Jake hopping since he had misplaced his shoe. "You've been busted," Jake said, "and I've already caught him," I continued as I started handcuffing him.

We returned to the station later, and Jake left the desk to speak with Sergeant. I sat at the desk, writing out the report, since I wanted to make sure we got it right so I could show my father that I could do my job. Jake eventually returned to the desk, seeming both impressed and concerned. "Ahh, you're doing the report," Jake replied. "Hey, look at this," I remarked as Jake sat alongside me, staring at the computer. "I just need his name, but if he won't tell me soon, we'll have his prints run to check if he's on the system." Your prints were saved in a file "Jake said, his voice brimming with anticipation.

"It's great to finally meet you, Trevor Podolski." Jake said something that made me realise his last name seemed quite familiar to me, but I couldn't place it. "Oh, Podolski," Jake said, and then it occurred to me, "wait, isn't the Deputy Police Commissioner's name Podolski?" I said as we both glanced at each other, "and your father is Deputy Police Commissioner Podolski." Jake expressed his dissatisfaction with the situation.

"I don't know how things operate around here," the kid said, "but does it mean your career is in my hands?" Trevor said with a smile on his face "Okay, you know what, yes," Jake said, sounding confident, which irritated me. Jake was starting to sound worried, but this boy didn't concern me; he reminded me of a high school bully who used to tease me about having two fathers.

Later, Jake and I went into my father's office so we could all chat without being overheard. We entered the office and sat in chairs in front of my father's desk after closing the door behind us. "Deputy commissioners son," my father said, his palm tapping his chin, way most people do when they're thinking about a possible consequence for something. "Yes," I answered as I glanced at him, knowing that we were in a critical situation and that we needed to figure out a method to deal with it properly.

"His decision to target makes more sense now," my father continued, making me want to say something, but I didn't. "We gotta let him walk, right?" Jake said something that made me want to punch him in the face. "You've got to be kidding," I joked him. "What?" Jake asked, confused as to why I was irritated. "You want to let him walk because he's a cop's kid," I said as I stood up and walked out of the office, tutting.

"He vandalised nine police vehicles and was apprehended red-handed." "Why would we do that?" Dad asked, looking at each of us. "Captain, I did all the work on this perfectly," Jake remarked, as my father questioned what Jake had just said. Jake laughed a little before saying, "Captain, I did all the work on this perfectly." Jake began to sound impressed with himself, "I mean, my report has over 25 pages, of meticulous research, diagrams, and maps," Jake said as he lifted up a colour coded folder, beginning to resemble Amy.

"Ooh look at you," I said, smiling and laughing at the same time. "Thank you," he said with a cheesy grin. "I even included a bit on the back about the author." "Amelia focus," my father ordered sternly, and I burst out laughing. "Sorry Captain," I muttered as I turned back to face Jake.

End Of Chapter 3