Chapter 1

Emma

Neverland used to be a simple place. A simple, unbelievable place; a place of pirates, mermaids, fairies, and, of course, one very interesting resident. A resident that was known across all realms, one of the most fascinating instances of magic ever recorded in history, I speak of course, of the Pan.

Peter Pan, a boy who mysteriously appeared on an island that was impossible to reach except for those who already knew it. He came to Neverland as a baby, with no clues to his birth, his parents, or where he came from. He was just...there. Some people argue that he came to exist just as Neverland had: from the collision of two stars in the galaxy that created enough power to form our home seemingly out of nowhere. Others argue that Peter Pan was a child when he came to Neverland, which is what he remained for years to come. There was no explanation for him other than the fact that he was simply there and eventually became "the boy who never grew up". It was enough for him. Like I said, Neverland was a simple place.

The same could not be said about Wonderland. Different from Neverland, Wonderland was always ruled by monarchs, by politics. For many years, it was Queen Arismeth who sat the throne and ruled Wonderland peacefully, which in turn, created peace in the neighboring island of Neverland. You see, Neverland and Wonderland were in fact two very different places, yet they were much closer than the fairytales realized. These two very different, magical, wonderful worlds were only separated by a veil of magic thin enough that you could never see it with the naked eye, but powerful enough to keep all of Neverland's affairs within Neverland, and Wonderland's affairs within Wonderland.

At least, until Queen Everly, better known to most as the Red Queen took over the throne after her sister's mysterious death.

Unlike her sister, the Red Queen was a tyrant, hellbent on controlling not only Wonderland, but all magical realms, starting with her closest neighbors: Neverland. Since assuming the throne, her dark magic has slowly poisoned Wonderland, turning it into a dark, decaying place slowly rotting away over the years. She's determined to do the same to our home, which is where we come in.

My father, Lorens Saint Clair, is the leader of the Neverland Rebellion: an organization of secret agents recruited from all over the magical realms, united by one common goal: defeat the Red Queen.

Peter Pan was the first member recruited, and one of the first people I have any vivid memories of after my father and I moved into Hangman's Tree. What was once used as a hideout for Lost Boys to conceal themselves from pirates now became the same lair that concealed our rebellion from the Red Queen. I remember being a small child, running amok in our base inside Hangman's Tree, and none other than Peter Pan always with me. Always childlike, always laughing with me, always teasing me. He was my first friend. And my best friend. But right now, he's my opponent. And I'm a sore loser.

The trees race by in flashes of green as my feet pound the forest floor. Above me, the musical sound of a boy's laughter fills the air, making me giggle in response myself.

    "You won't be catching me!" I bellow, dodging rocks and upturned roots with ease, running as fast as I can.

    "Emma, slow down! The lagoon is close!"

    "Never!" I throw my head back, laughing as the trees thin out. Our rules have always been simple: first one to the rocks is the winner. I'm determined to be first.

    "Whoa!" I exclaim, skidding to a halt to avoid running into the redheaded boy who dives from the sky, landing at the edge of the rocks. His arms reach out to catch me before I fall on my face, whirling me around and setting me down once my momentum has run out.

    "Looks like I caught you," he smirks. "Again."

    I slap his chest. "You cheated!"

    "I don't know how many times I have to tell you, Em, you're racing on foot against a boy who can fly."