Chapter 10

Emma

Seb frowns, running a hand through his hair before placing both his hands back on the conference table, on either side of the crude drawing I'd given him when he asked us to describe the drone that attacked us in the forest.

"This isn't really helpful, I'm afraid," Seb concludes, glancing up at me.

"I'm not an artist," I shrug.

"I think it looks pretty spot on," Peter winks sideways at me as he nudges me with his elbow.

"Thank you!" I exclaim. "I thought so too."

"What is this part supposed to be?" Seb points to the appendage I drew coming out of the top of the drone.

"That's the rocket launcher," I respond nonchalantly.

"Obviously," Peter's voice drips with sarcasm, making us both laugh.

"Please," Seb removes his glasses, pinching the bridge of his nose in exasperation. "Please stop that. I can't handle the two of you in cahoots with each other. Peter is bad enough on his own."

"What can I say?" Peter shrugs. "The ladies can't resist me."

"Ew," I wrinkle my nose, making Seb laugh as Peter feigns surprise.

"Wait, Em, you mean you haven't completely fallen in love with me?"

I raise an eyebrow, still laughing. "No, I'm afraid not."

"Ah, I see," he frowns, nodding his head. "You will. Don't worry."

"Let's not hold our breath for that one, shall we?" Seb says to me, making me giggle again.

"So," Seb continues, pointing to my poorly-drawn drone. "If this is the rocket launcher, what is this part on the bottom?"

"Some sort of motor or propeller system," Peter replies.

"I sort of blew that part up first, so we couldn't really tell," I add sheepishly.

Seb frowns yet again. "Right. Well, if the body was cube-shaped, like you say, then that's a recon drone. Remote controlled. It has that big lens on the front for filming in a wide scope."

"Right," Peter nods.

"So it shouldn't have a rocket launcher on it."

"We're aware," I respond. "That's why we're asking you what it is."

"Well, I don't know."

"Really, Seb?" Peter asks. "You haven't the faintest idea?"

He shakes his head. "If you could've brought it to me, maybe I could take a look at it, but just based off this...fantastic drawing, I can't really tell you what it is."

Peter glances at me. "No more field trips for you then."

I roll my eyes. "Very funny."

"No, he's right," Seb chimes in. "You can't be seen. The second you're spotted, this place will be swarming with the Red Keep."

"Really?" my brows shoot up. "Why?"

Seb turns to Peter. "You haven't told her?"

I turn to Peter as well, crossing my arms over my chest. "Tell me what?"

"Thanks, Seb," Peter rolls his eyes.

"The Red Queen put a bounty on your head," Seb says to me, making my jaw drop.

"How much?" I ask.

"Enough," Peter says quickly.

"A lot," Seb responds at the same time.