The Aragons

The Aragons had moved to Salt Lake City when their son Kai was in second grade. They came from big, crowded, expensive Northern California to get away from the bustling city. The Husband, Larry Aragon, was a tall silent man with curly hair that he combed back into a mature hairstyle, who worked a 9-5 desk job for a web design company. Mrs. Noelle Aragon was once a beautiful blonde young woman who wore sundresses and loved her husband and her job working in a flower shop. 

But that was a long time ago

Mrs. Aragon was now a fat, boozy, middle-aged woman who sat either in bed or in front of the TV during the day. Three affairs, financial problems, and raising their only son had taken tolls on their marriage. Kai was alone in his own home from the time he was about seven years old.

Despite his energetic and fun-loving personality, Kai switches into a different person the second he walks through his front door, he thought that if he already seemed unhappy (which he was), his parents wouldn't bother to try to make him more lifeless. He just kept out of the way as they argued and fought but didn't care to talk to him, only to give him small amounts of money to take care of himself.

Kai's Parents gave up years ago, gave up pretending he was anything more than a burden to them, pretending they still cared about their marriage, 

pretending they were still alive.

Diana was a beam of sunshine in Kai's life, not as a significant other, but as a best friend, a comrade, a savior. Diana had never asked about his family issues, she thought that if he wanted her to know, he'd tell her. And one day, he did.