Prelude

{Prelude- Updated 6/2/21}

Hiding in the shadows of the hallway, she slowly and quietly crept towards the open office door. Willow knew better than to eavesdrop on her fathers conversations with Stephen, his Beta, but curiosity got the better of her. She wanted to hear what menacing plan he had come up with now. Her father, Dominic, was a power-hungry Alpha who stopped at nothing to gain what he wanted and loved the feel of blood on his hands. Holding her breath and praying to the goddess above that he didn't sense her outside the door, she pressed her back to the wall and leaned in closer to the door frame.

Their pack had recently taken on the Crescent Moons and though they killed their alpha, they still lost the battle and many members of their pack. She hoped that with such loss they would break from the constant war her father waged, but as she listened, he was forming a plan of attack for a small pack just south of their borders. The more she listened to him speak with Stephen about their attack strategy the angrier she became. Their pack had already lost so many and her heart ached for them. Taking a deep breath and trying to find the courage she knew was only temporary, she closed her eyes for a moment and barged in the door.

"Father, don't you think we have enough land for now! Our people are hurting and grieve for their lost loved ones and need time to heal. These merciless, land grabbing, power hungry attacks need to stop. I mean where is it getting you? We take over one pack, gain new members and land, just to turn around and loose them. I mean, My Goddess it's not like..."

Falling backwards she realized that her father had struck her once again. Not even letting her finish her sentence. Her mind barely had time to register what had transpired as it happened so quickly. Looking up into the dark, red rimmed eyes of her father she scrambled to her feet. His anger had no limits and she better than anyone knew that. It always seemed that she was on the receiving end of it and was no stranger to it. The slap was mild compared to some of the beatings she received growing up.

Face red and eyes narrowed, "Who in the hell do you think you are? Did I come to you and ask you for your opinion on pack affairs? NO, I do not think that I did! Why in the fuck are you snooping around my office? Do I need to remind you of your place in this pack bitch?"

Shaking her head and wiping the blood from the corner of her mouth she backed away from him. She struck a chord, and she knew it but still felt the need to try and stop what was about to happen. Bumping into a table by the wall she realized she had no where else to go as he slowly stalked towards her.

Looking down at the ground, "I was just thinking that we need to stop for a while father. Can't you see how the pack mourns its losses? How they are trying to heal. I just feel it would be in everyone's best interest if..." Looking up to the man who, in his words, tolerated her existence she saw the tell-tale signs of a beating. His eyes were black as coal and the animosity and resentment shown through clearly. His hands were balled up at his sides tightly into fists. His upper lip was curled showing his lengthening canines.

Deciding she said her peace and being conscious was better than being laid up in bed for a week she turned on her heel and ran from the room. His malicious laughter followed her down the hallway as did his words. "That's right! Run little bitch run! This is far from over and I think a proper punishment is in your future. You have nowhere to go. You will be back, and I will be waiting!"

Bursting through the back door she took off across the backyard until she happened upon the overgrown and rundown gardens. In the middle of it all was a small sanctuary only accessible by a hole in the shrubs. Willow thought of it as her secret garden. The overgrown shrubbery created high walls and the wildflowers grew in random patches all over. Flowering vines grew up the broken stone fountain on one side and butterflies danced on the wind. For her it was paradise compared to her everyday life. It was the only safe place she had in the whole pack.