Chapter 5

"Ah, so that was jealousy I smelt, huh~" I teased. His face went a pinkish shade as he tried to stammer an excuse. "I'm kidding, calm down. I don't know why you're getting flustered over that."

"Y-You can't just say that!" He pouted and crossed his arms. I slightly laughed as I walked up to him. He didn't look my way.

"Hey I'm sorry okay?" I apologized, I didn't realize my hand going for his head until I started petting him. A look of surprise was present in my eyes. "Oh wow. Soft."

He pushed my hand away and I frowned a bit before a teasing smile found its way back to my face.

I captured him in a loose choke hold and ruffled his head very harshly. We both laughed as he struggled to get away. "Next time let me play with it." I whispered in his ear before releasing him. He stood, shocked for a moment before I started pushing him into the guest room.

     "I have some baggy boy clothes you can borrow. I'll be right back." I walked into my room, grabbing a big t-shirt and sweat pants that I stole from my brother cause he never wears it.

I walked back to find Noya talking to himself.

"So she likes Hinata—"

"Uh, what?" He screeched, jumping to the back board of the mattress.

"W-What did you hear?"he spat nervously as his face turned a very noticeable shade of red again.

"Uh, that I liked Hinata? No no no, he's like a brother to me," I remembered something and I squeaked in excitement. "Oh I totally forgot!" I jumped on the bed next to Noya as a huge grin made its way to my face. "You know that Hinata sleep talks right?"

"W-Well you mentioned it earlier I think," he confessed, confused.

"He was having a dream about Kageyama," I giggled. "I think he likes him. Omg they would be so cute together!" Nishinoya's eyes went wide in a pleasant surprise.

"Wait really?"

"Now that I think about it, when I asked him to come with us today, he asked if Kageyama could come! And they've practicing more together than ever and now they're walking home together now!" I glance at him and he looked...relieved.

     "Oh wow. I didn't think about it before but now it makes sense!" He smiled cheerfully as he tackled me with a bear hug. I gasped in surprise but hugged back nonetheless.

"I'll go now and let you sleep, we'll study tomorrow if you'd like?" I asked. I was a little hopeful he would say yes...I liked spending time with him, but the look in his eyes told me another thing.

     "Ah, well...volleyball practice is tomorrow..." he said, "a-and I'll probably be helping my mom out..."

     "Okay, that makes sense," I said, successful hiding my disappointment. "Goodnight Noya."

     "Oh, uhm, Goodnight [Name]."

     I shut the door and silently made my way to my room. As soon as I closed my own door, I started to cry. I didn't know why I was crying. Maybe happiness and relief? Maybe because of all the anxiety?

     Actually, I felt as if something really bad was gonna happen. I knocked on my wooden desk at the thought.

{~}

     I decided to stop by the practice since a match was right around the corner. It's been a couple of days since Noya spent the night and he acts all nervous and aberrant around me constantly now. I wonder what I did.

     I set down my bag and helped Kiyoko and Yachi with stuff. But my eyes kept getting drawn to those chocolate locks with a vanilla streak. Ah, I'm so hungry.

     I didn't know I was zoned out until a ball was a few feet in front of me coming my way. I dropped the basket I was carrying and shielded my face with my hands.

      Big mistake.

     The ball deflected off my limb, but not without pain. My index and middle fingers stung with agony as they went back in unusual concerning directions.

      The ball dropped and my face was pale with shock. I didn't cry or tear up, just stared at my hand with panic. How was I supposed to play? Are they broken? Did I waste my time and effort for something I wouldn't be able to do anymore?

     Noya stood right in front of me, his arms out to receive the ball that injured my fingers. Hinata and Kageyama stood on the other side of the net, their eyes filling up with guilt for spiking the ball my way.

     The whole room was filled with dismay and worry but no one dared move for a few seconds.

     "[N-Name]!" Sugawara ran up to me along with Tanaka and Daichi and Coach Ukai. I didn't speak, just gaped. I... I just didn't know how to express the fear and panic I was feeling in my gut.

     "Come on, let's get you to the nurse!" Yachi squeaked, nudging my shoulder as I trudged and shuffled my feet. My eyes never left my hand as we walked to the other side of the school.

     I knew something bad would happen. I should've never had that thought.

{~}

     The nurse told me to go to the hospital and now I'm here at emergency care. The doctor carefully examined my hand deemed it them broken—or I should say sprained. My index finger was fractured.

     "H-How long until it heals?" I whispered. He looked at me while placing the carefully flexible padded metal onto my fingers.

     "6 weeks or so. It's just a small fracture in the tip of the finger." I gulped. That means 6 weeks of no practice and a performance two weeks after. I gulped as anxiety and sorrow stirred up in my throat.

     "Will I be able to perform on the piano 2 months from now?" I asked quietly. He looked at me with surprise as a pitiful frown made its way to his old features.

     "That depends. I advise you to be careful with it though. If you're too intense, you might be right back here and you won't be able to perform for a long while."

     Time stopped. My breath caught in my throat as I felt all colour leave my face, as my eyes lost the sparkle of hope I held on to. My worst fears were coming true. All that practice, all those tears and tardiness... and I'd just got up the courage to tell the team what I am, and that they could go to the competition if they wanted to. I couldn't tell them now. My heart literally sunk and dissolved into the acid in my stomach.

     "Oh..."

__________________________________________
<3
Published January 16, 2020
Edited December 17, 2022