LXXXIII. To Beat the Devil

[Beat the Devil]

LAWRENCE, KANSAS, PRESENT DAY

MAP ROOM - BUNKER

Dean, Sam, Holly, Nate, Cas, Jack and Mary were all sitting around the map table. The table top was covered in the remains of dinner - beer bottles, plates and pizza boxes. Dean reached into one of the pizza boxes and got a slice. Cas and Jack looked on in disbelief. Dean took a bite.

"Dean, you can't possibly eat another. That's your seventh piece." Cas noted.

Dean replied with his mouth full, "No, it's not."

"Castiel's right. I counted." Jack said.

Dean said to Jack, "Okay, first, don't be narc. And secondly, seven pieces is perfectly normal. Nate, stop giving me that look."

Mary was watching Dean with a warm smile on her face, amused by her son.

Sam was amused and judgy. "Uh, it's really not."

"It's not even a whole pie." Dean reasoned.

Holly rested her hands under her chin. "Bet you he can eat one more, plus some."

"Was he always like this?" Jack wondered.

Mary giggled, got up, and began to clear the table. "Even as a baby. John and me, we used to call him our little piglet." She leaned over and rubbed his shoulder affectionately. "Holly was the same way. Always hungry."

Dean, with his mouth full, dropped the remainder of the slice. "All right, I'm done."

Mary leaned over his other shoulder to take his plate and smiled at Holly. "With love."

"Mm." Dean hummed.

Nate looked at Holly with an amused expression.

Sam handed Mary his plate. "Thanks Mom. You know what, let me help you."

Sam stood and collected some pizza boxes then followed Mary into the hallway. At the table, Dean motioned to Cas to slide one of the remaining pizza boxes down to him. Cas did and Dean and Holly began to dig out another piece. Nate laughed and smiled. Sam and Mary walked down the steps into the hallway.

"Hey, Mom, um, how you holding up?" Sam asked. "You haven't really said much since you got back, you know -- how you're doing. How it was over there and..."

"It was hard. But somehow, I always knew that you... you, Holly, Nate, and Dean would come and save us. And you did." Mary replied.

"Mom?"

"Yes, Sam? Sam?" Her voice became robotic.

Sam asked puzzled, "Mom?"

"Sam? Sam? Sam?" The beeping of an alarm began to accompany each word.

SAM'S BEDROOM - BUNKER

Sam woke up from a dream and was lying in his bed. He gasped and jolted awake, the beeping noise was his alarm. He reached over and turned off the alarm. He rubbed his hands down his face and folded back the covers to sit up on the side of the bed. He dragged his hands down his face again and blinked, trying to wake up.

BUNKER - LIBRARY

Rowena was standing at a table. She organized the ingredients for the spell to open the rift. Sam, Holly, Nate, and Dean were packing their gear.

Rowena pulled out the fruit. "Fruit from the tree of life."

Sam was kneeling in the background testing flashlights.