Chapter 27

*I'ts late, I'm sleepy--as always, any mistakes, kindly point out in a comment and I will get to them.  Also, if you're reading and you like (or not) please let me know.  Seriously.  It's mind-wracking not knowing if people are enjoying this or not.  That being said, I truly appreciate you kind souls who have voted or commented or message me to let me know you like what you're reading.

This week's cover comes from the lovely PureBliss, who is so sweet (I love the NY bestseller bit, lol).  

-Nikki*

Chapter 27

_________________

Miriam knew that she should have been afraid. In light of everything, there was no other logical way to feel.  But, as she took stock of her emotions, well…

Shock was there, definitely.  Maybe a little unease—but fear…?

She just didn’t feel it. 

Maybe it was because she was to numb to feel much of anything? 

The ice of the snow bit through her with its bitter chill, and Eliot himself, leaning over her, was no warmer—in fact…he seemed even colder.

Glacial.

Her teeth began to chatter, as all she could do was freeze and stare.

His eyes glowed ruby red.  Those fangs glittered dangerously in the dim light, and the way the snow bounced off his dark hair reminded her of feathers floating over fire. 

He looked frightening; like some horror-movie Dracula come to life.

In a way, the comparison made sense, she realized; no human’s teeth should have been so sharp.  Or curved down like razors to a sharp point perfect for splitting through flesh. 

Her heart lurched at the sight.

And still…

Without thinking, she reached up, allowing the tips of her fingers to come within a hair’s breadth of one of those fangs, hovering just out of reach.

He didn’t move. 

Not even as the pad of her thumb came to brush the ivory surface; gently though, as if it were made of glass. 

To her surprise, it felt as real as her own teeth did—not plastic.

They were cold as well—which wasn’t surprising considering the rest of him. 

Still, a part of her couldn’t help thinking that his teeth, at least, should at least be warm, being so close to his mouth. 

Especially when her breath was dotting the air in frantic puffs of white. 

Though, now that she thought about it, his breath didn’t seem to be turning white on the cool air either.  In fact…he didn’t seem to be breathing at all. 

“You have fangs,” she gasped, surprised by just how calm she sounded.

He was too; those red eyes bulged, as if he had never seen anything like her before. 

Hell, he looked more terrified of her than she was of him. 

But without a hint of fear she went on. 

“And you’re so cold…”

He pulled back slightly, eyes going dark. 

“And,” Miriam went on softly, ignoring the way he glared.  “You’re fast…really fast,” she trailed off, thinking of all the times he seemed to have appeared out of thin air.