2 - THE POINSETTA PUB

Whoville
10 years ago

For centuries, Saga has been banished from her home, forced to roam a place so foreign. She had been cast out because of her disdain. Her family, why they considered her a stain to their linage, for they didn't even try to defend her against her friend. Why Odin, he had enough of her ways, so he sent her away to place where there was only happiness and never any nastiness. Whoville was the name, and though Saga was angry at Odin for sending her away, she knew there was no one other than herself to blame.

With the banishment, Saga knew that nobody would know her name. It was a chance to start fresh. She had many options, so she chose refresh and became the Grinch ─ a name many Asagardian had called her ─ and put behind her all the rest. For much time she lived amongst the Whos and she grew in character. All nastiness had went away, replaced with love and happiness. The Whos, why loved her, and the Grinch felt the same. It was like she was home in this new world, and to Asgard she never planned to return.

But this happiness, it did not last. She didn't mean to, of course, but those nasty ways of her past, why they had returned and fast. The Grinch never wanted anything to happen, she forbid herself to grow hateful of the Whos, but she did in the end, it was fateful. Like it was natural instinct for her to be distasteful, she severed the bond of those she grew fond. They grew to fear her with each sneer, so the Grinch left. She went north to a cavern, where she spent many a century. But every century or so when they would forget her name, she come back to try again, this time much more tame.

This was the Grinch's fourth try for happiness. She had to do good this time. "No more nastiness," she whispered to herself while walking the streets of Whoville. She wore a navy blue trench coat with green gloves and fur and boots on her feet as she trudged through snow, glancing around while wondering where to go.

Eventually, the Grinch could hear music. It was a Christmas ballad, ones she's heard many times before, back when she owned a house on Hopewell Who Street. She followed the noise toward a pub. It was a small little nook, but one that stood tall. The Poinsettia Pub, read the sign overhead. "Doesn't look so bad," she said with a shrug as she peered in through the glass window.

"What a bright time, it's the right time, to rock the night away."

A bell chimed above her head, announcing her presence, and why this pub it did have much pleasance. She smiled at those who looked at her, greeting them with kindness. They remained mindless to the fact she was the Grinch, all peering toward the singer on the stage, whose voice was so angelic one would not even flinch. The pub was dark, illuminated in Christmas lights of red and green with tinsel and tuffs of fake snow and yule logs upon the fire with care. The place was rather clean. The food smelled delicious and alcoholic drinks were being served. The Grinch swerved, making her way through the crowd and toward the bar where she claimed a stool and observed.

"Jingle bell time is a swell time to go gliding in a one-horse sleigh."

"What can I get you?" the bartender asked. His name tag read Fred, his hair dark and face handsome. He held a towel in his hand while cleaning the counter in front of her with grace.

"Giddy-up jingle horse, pick up your feet, jingle around the clock."

The Grinch pondered for a moment, and wondered if they still had her favorite drink of peppermint schnapps on the rocks. But then she decided to try something new and said, "What's your best drink of the night, Fred?"

"Mix and a-mingle in the jingling feet. That's the jingle bell rock."

"Well, the spiked eggnog has been a favorite of the evening," Fred replied.