Chapter 3- Wednesday

The next day everyone seemed to be watching me. Their greedy eyes soaking in anything they can use as stepping stones to popularity. The word truly spreads fast, of course, I could not expect something as interesting as yesterday to be brushed over.

In form time Mr Story informed me of a meeting I have concerning yesterday's events. So it seems Mr Malik has decided to spill to the rest of the staff. What if they think I'm somehow behind the disturbance, or even that it was my idea. I cannot get into trouble!

I walked to the reception, occasionally glancing over my shoulder to fend off the feeling of being constantly watched. And, that is how ladies and gentlemen, you end up on the floor. Always watch where you are going. I struggled into a sitting position and came to a conclusion I tripped over an upturned corner of the carpet leading to the office. I couldn't but help facepalm myself, after falling over the first couple of times I would have thought I would have learnt my lesson. Well, clearly not.

As I sat there cursing my existence and rubbing my twisted ankle, a shadow fell on me.

"I hope you are okay down there." A voice echoed and drilled into my head. Mr Malik's voice. God, I wanted the ground to swallow me or become suddenly invisible. I grappled at the wall to get up and replied.

"Uh, Yes, yeah...yeah, I'm cool." How smooth.

He rose his eyebrow disbelievingly but nodded his head and carried on his way around the school. Meanwhile, I hobbled into the office and took a seat, sighing in relief of the lack of pressure on my sore ankle.

Ms Simmon, the head coordinator, sat down opposite me and straightened a pile of papers that were on her desk.

"You are aware of why you were called in today right?"

"It has something to do with yesterday? I think." I replied

"Yes, the police have been informed and there are a couple of officers here to speak to you about the incident. I want you to know this is completely confidential and anything that is talked about today will not be reported back to your parents or anything. Make sure to be honest so we a get hold of this criminal."

"Yes, Miss." I began to get nervous as the police entered the room. They were all in uniform, and most of them looked like they really didn't want to be here.

"Hi, I'm Jenny from the London metropolitan police. I'm here to collect statements about yesterday's incident and get a few of our questions answered" A peppy voice introduced. She sat on my left and another colleague sat on my right. The others stood behind me. There was five of them altogether.

I took a shaky breath and replied "I am Elaynah and um... I was there at the incident?"

The officer on my right noted something down and then looked at police number 1. Who then said "Expand please, what happened? How were you feeling, what was inside the envelope?"

I filled her in of the details of yesterday, but then she asked to see the note and the pictures. For some reason, I couldn't bring myself to part with them. And so I lied, "I just couldn't stand it. I felt so violated, so disgusted by the fact that someone was privy to my life. Who knows what other things the person has seen. I kind of set fire to the paper. And threw away the ashes. I didn't think... I- uh. I'm sorry."

I didn't know what I was doing at that point, my thoughts were racing a million miles a minute, my hands started to shake off nervousness. It almost felt like I was the criminal at that moment.

"You know that we're here to help you right? This could be a serious concern to your safety and we need you to be completely honest with us." She said narrowing her eyes at me, disbelieving.

My throat had gone dry, what I've said was a lie. I've lied to a police officer. I can't go back on that now. No. What if I get in trouble. No, what was even the point of that lie? Elaynah, god you're such an imbecile. I could do nothing but plaster a fake smile and nod, hoping that it could pass off as nervousness.  

She gave me one last glance before she turned to her colleagues. "You guys got any questions?"

They shook their heads and one by one trickled out of the room. Lastly saying, "If you find anything suspicious or remember something please tell a trusted adult who can then report back to us."

I nodded my head, and just prayed for them to get out of that room as fast as they can. I can't take any more of this lying. Why couldn't I be like the cool kids in those movies who lied their heads off without feeling any remorse?

God am I going to regret this.