Chapter 10 - Sunday

I twisted and turned in my bed willing myself to go back to sleep. A lie-in on a lazy Sunday is just what I need. Until a voice spoke, scratchy and deep, "I have always wondered why mortals fear death yet is so beautifully content with life. Blissfully unaware of everything around them."

I froze, hoping that if I didn't move then perhaps voice would go away. Yes, I am a coward, sue me. Is it too much to ask to not have my life invaded by a bunch of ghosts?

"But then life has always been a lie, fabricated by the imagination. It is a simulation that we must play out before we reach our ultimate goal. Death. The end of being. But for you there is no goal is there?"

I inched my head above my duvet to be faced with an old man, no an old woman, no a child, no... something. It kept changing to different shapes and colours and genders and beings. It didn't stay still, fleeting from that corner to that corner, but one thing remained constant, its voice.

"You can float about endlessly, start wars, wreak havoc, cure cancer, rule the world but it will never be enough for someone who has all of eternity. In some ways I envy you, and in other ways I pity you. Isn't that just tragic."

At last, it stood still, and our eyes met. It felt like the ground beneath my body had given out, I felt like I was hanging by a string that was so close to snapping, I felt like I was in a boat rocking endlessly to a rhythm I cannot hear. For a moment the world stopped and I forgot to breathe because those eyes held the answers to all the questions I will ever want to ask. Those eyes were limitless, giving me glimpses of others universes and a small part of me wished that it could stay staring into those eyes, entranced by the knowledge it has to offer.

My thoughts slowed and gently swayed, trying to absorb every last detail but the moment ended too soon.

"Hello little star, we meet at last."

So much for a lazy Sunday.

I glanced towards my door, suddenly feeling suffocated. It was closed, I never close my door. I was trapped in my room with my otherworldly stalker. Right, breathe Elaynah. Remember to breathe.

"Hey?" I cursed my mind for leaving me so speechless. Although I don't suppose there is anything else I can say.

It smirked. At least I think it did, it was one of those feelings when you know a person is smiling without looking at them. A sixth sense.

"So, um... What are you doing in my room?" I asked feeling a little lost.

"I just figured I should put you out of your misery."

I panicked, "You mean, kill me?" I inhaled sharply, getting ready to scream.

"No- No, shhh. Nothing like that," Relief flooded my mind, like a warm wave gently creeping through my body," I heard that the curiosity was killing you, so here I am. Your 'creepy' 'paedophile' of a stalker."

"Oh my God. Why can't you just be that? It's better than having ghosts in my room at random times in the day, trapping me in my own safe haven. This is not A Christmas Carol. And I am nothing like Scrooge!"

"Calm down child. I see as the world aged mortals have become more dramatic than the last. Can't say I'm looking forward to becoming one." It said in thinly veiled disgust.

"So... Why did you do it? Why are you taking pictures of me and scaring the crap out of me?"

"The answer is simple, someone had to tell you what you are, I figured why not have some fun along the way?" it said, "But it upset me when Cathy decided to 'confiscate' the mortal contraption. I believe you are in possession of it now?"

I nodded and got up to show the black polaroid camera. I contemplated whether I should give it back to it. As if reading my thoughts, "You can keep it, I understand I did cause you a great deal of stress. The other spirits aren't too happy with the way I handled things. So maybe if I earn your forgiveness they'll ease up on the scolding."

I almost felt sorry for him. Keyword, almost.

"I'm glad to provide you with momentary amusement," I said darkly. "But plea-"

The door burst open, "Mum said to come to breakfast!" My brother stood in the doorway.

I was surprised by the lack of reaction of seeing the spirit. "Can you not see it?" I asked curiously.

"I'm not it!"It said aghast, "Do I look like an inanimate object to you?"

"What are you on about, go eat breakfast or Mums going to get angry." My brother said walking away.

I stared after him. "You aren't crazy, your brother's just an ordinary human so he can't see me" it- the ghost assured me.

"I guess..." Questioning my sanity.

"Go eat, you'll feel better then." I nodded and decided to just that.

In between mouthfuls of cereal, I thought about this entire week. I thought about Cathy. If I was mentally ill there's no way Cathy and I could see the same things, so her knowing my situation doesn't make sense. Besides this camera is pretty real, and there really isn't any other explanation to me being stalked. And with that, I came to a conclusion.

I was just different.