CHAPTER 1

DANTE "TAY" HARRIS

BEEP! BEEP! BEEP! (Alarm clock going off) I was already awake staring at the ceiling and quickly turned off my alarm it was 5:00 a.m. and it was the time to start my day. I made my way to the bathroom that was located in my room. I brushed my teeth and turned the shower on, but first needed to do a quick light workout of 50 push-ups and sit-ups, and then I made my bed.

After finishing the workout and a hot shower, it was time to get ready for class. It was brick outside given the fact that it is winter and raining. It's my sophomore year in college, and I am trying to bring my 3.4 GPA to 4.0 to finish the year strong. My phone began to ring it was Darnell, my boss at the Auto-shop that I worked at off the books since I was like 11-12 years old.

"Morning D." I answered.

"Morning Tay, I need you to come to the shop straight after you finish all your classes." He announced with urgency.

"I can't, I have football practice all this week, and it's homecoming. I can try to come after practice." I informed him.

"Alright, just try to get here as soon as you can." He demanded.

"I got you." I assured him.

I pulled the locked chest that I kept under my bed to take some money out, I figure $1400 would do. I was getting my sneakers on when I got another incoming call this time from my little sister Nikki.

"Morning Nic." I said

"Hey, big bro." she said with excitement. "I don't know where daddy is, and my mom is still at work doing a double. Do you think you can give me a ride to school?" She asked.

"Of course, Nikki, I am on my way." I informed her.

"Thanks, I will see you when you get here." She replied, and then we hung up.

I made my way to my car, an all black Dodge Durango with black tints.

The ride to my father's house was pretty smooth, with no traffic, Nikki was already outside when I pulled up.

"Hey, big bro, thanks again

"Hey, big bro, thanks again." She greeted me, giving me a tight hug and kiss on the cheek.

"No problem, so how is everything?" I said.

"Honesty, it's okay, but my mom and daddy have been arguing a lot lately." Nikki's mom was my stepmom, she was pretty cool and never really treated me badly, but she was not my mother. My mom died from cancer when I was like six almost seven.