Dinner

Mata's POV

I see Patri talking with a few of her teammates. I need to meet her.

I started walking towards the Spaniard when Viv steps in front of me, "Whatcha staring at, Kind?"

I rub the back of my neck, embarrassed, "What are you talking about? I wasn't staring at anything." 

Viv places a hand on my shoulder, "No need to be embarrassed, you've just got a little crush. I get it." 

"I don't have a crush," I laugh, "I just think she's a really good player for how young she is."

"Yeah right," Viv rolls her eyes, "I get it you want to meet her, and I know who can help with that." She grabs my arm and pulls me away and towards another group of Barca players. Viv grabs Lieke's arm as well and she pulls the both of us to a lonely section of the field. "Mata has a crush on one of your girls and I think you should introduce them."

"I don't have a -" Lieke cuts me off.

"Oh my gosh, who is it!! Mata, you have to tell me. I can set you guys up," Lieke was even more excited than Viv.

"I don't have a crush, Viv just made that up." 

Viv mouths to Lieke that I was lying. "I caught her staring at that one," Viv points in the direction of Patri and her teammates.

"Okay, that's good, she's young, cute," Lieke pauses, "and she's single. Perfecto."

"It doesn't matter if she's young, single, or cute because I don't like her."

"Come on Mata no need to be embarrassed, how could you not? Alongside you, she's one of the best young players in the world right now" Lieke puts an arm around my shoulder and begins pulling me towards her. "You two are gonna meet."

The group Patri was standing with has thinned out, only four players remain.

"Hey guys," Lieke starts once we approach the group, "This is a good friend of mine from the national team,-"

Mapi Leon cuts her off, "Mata De Bakker, good to meet you," she raises a hand for me to shake, "my apologies, I'm Maria Leon, aka Mapi."

I give the blonde a firm shake and smile, "No need to apologize, I know who you are."

I turn towards another voice, "Alexia Putellas, good to meet you."

I shake her hand and smile, "You as well."

"I'm Jenni Hermoso, you're a quality forward for your age."

I take the compliment with a smile, "I got lucky in the height category, definitely an advantage," we all laugh. Okay Patri your turn

The youngest girl sticks out her hand which I firmly, but not too firmly, grasp, "Patri Guijarro," she says quietly and flashes a smile.

"Of course," I say with a smile, "one of the best young people in the game."

She blushes, "You could say the same thing about yourself, no?" 

"Perhaps," I return a smile. Lieke and her fellow teammates continue talking while Patri and I talk individually, "Your English is quite good, where'd you learn?"

"Just school, they taught it to an extent, but I figured if I wanted to play professionally I should try to become fluent so I could perhaps play outside of Spain someday. Where'd you learn?"

"Well, we only slightly learned in school, plus I never finished classes so just living in London the past two years has taught me plenty," I glance to my left and see Viv and Lisa go from staring to quickly turning around.