Woah

Mata's POV

After talking with Patri for a while I was a little upset that dinner interrupted our talks, but I'm always down to eat. She and I walked over to the table where I sat in my usual seat and Patri took the one to my right. 

I heard Lisa calling from the kitchen, "Mata get in here and help!" 

Patri stood up, "Do you want me to help as well?"

"No no" I assured her, "We don't need more help, you guys are our guests this is our job."

She sat back down and I walked into the kitchen when I was immediately surrounded by my Arsenal teammates. "What the hell do you people want?"

Jill spoke first, "Fucking ask her out already."

"Woah Woah Woah, what are you talking about?"

I heard Daan speak up, "We've all seen you two talking all night. You both like each other just ask her out already."

I pointed to Daan and Beth, "When did you two get here?"

"You were so busy chatting away with your little girlfriend you didn't even notice my arrival." Daan touched her heart.

I laughed, "Calm down you two, I was talking to a new friend." 

"You forgot a word."

I gave Viv a weird look, "What?"

"You forgot a word."

"No, I didn't."

"Yeah, you forgot that girl belongs in front of friend." Everyone but me laughed.

"Haha very funny," I said sarcastically. "Let's just eat."

We all left the kitchen with bowls in our hands and began to lay the food on the table. As we lifted the tinfoil off the containers big puffs of steam filled the air. I looked at Patri and smiled, I always catch myself looking at her and being unable to take my eyes off until we make eye contact and she flashes her smile. I love that smile

I decided to spark up some conversation, "So you guys leave tomorrow right?"

"Yeah, but Spain is playing you guys and England in the upcoming weeks so you won't have to miss us for too long." Mapi teased.

"Exactly what I was worried about."

Lieke put a hand on my back, "Don't lie to the poor girl, we all know you're gonna miss Patri the most." Patri and I both blushed.

"Lieke you're right what was I thinking, she isn't gonna miss the rest of us," Mapi leaned back in her chair and crossed her arms. I made eye contact with Patri and smiled, she returned one.

An hour or so passed and the older players decided to go out to a bar for drinks. I'm not old enough to drink so Patri offered to stay with me claiming she doesn't drink.

"Okay we'll see you two in a few hours, don't do anything stupid," Lisa yelled from the door.

"I should be telling you guys that," I walked over to the door. "Text me if you're all too hammered to drive."

"Okay, thanks Kind we'll let you know." 

"Have fun guys," I waved and closed to door behind them. I walked over to the couch where Patri had already been sitting. "I'm gonna turn on a match, any preferences?"

"I think Athletico's men's team is playing right now if you wanna find that."

I turned on the game and placed the clicker back on the coffee table, "So, Patri, I need to know what's your favorite football club?"

 She adjusted how she was sitting to face me, "Well, Atlético Baleares is my home town club and I've grown up watching them, but they're not in La Liga, so my favorite La Liga club is probably Barca I've been there so long. What's yours?"

"Well I am from Amsterdam so I grew up watching Ajax so they're my favorite, you said Atlético Baleares was your home town club, what town is that?"

"Palma, it's a small island off the east coast, I loved it there, I was always at the beach. It was my favorite thing to do when the weather was nice."

"Sounds lovely, Amsterdam had some beaches, but we didn't go often it wasn't much of a thing there." I looked over to the TV when I heard it announced that Athletico scored.

"Do you have any siblings Mata?"

I looked back at her and sighed, "Yeah, my little sister Lotte is only twelve. She plays too, striker just like me," I looked down into my lap.

"You must miss her."

"Like you could never imagine, I haven't seen her since the season started. Do you have siblings?"

A/N so idk if this is completely accurate but with a photo, Patri posted for her mom three other people around her age were there so I'm assuming those are her siblings, but if you know for sure let me know.

"Three, a brother and two sisters. Toni, Andrea, and Laurita, they try to come to games when they can." 

"That's nice that they get to come to see you play," I started to look upset and Patri noticed.

She reached over and grabbed my hand, "Hey, it's okay I know how much you must miss Lotte and your parents, but just know how proud of you they must be. You're one of the biggest stars in Europe!"

I looked up at her, "Yeah I know they're proud, but I hate missing Lotte's childhood. She's playing at the same club I played at when I was her age and I just wish I could be there to help her get to the top. I mean we talk all the time, but it isn't enough sometimes."

"Hey, I'm sure she wouldn't want it any other way though. I'm sure that she's so proud of you and sure she wishes she could see you more, but she gets to tell everyone she is Mata De Bakker's sister, how cool is that." Patri smiled.

"Not as cool as saying you're Patri Guijarro's," I smirked and she blushed.

We were looking at each other for a few seconds, neither saying anything just being comfortable with the silence. I looked from her eyes to her lips and back up. I leaned in and kissed her. what the fuck did you just do? To my surprise, she kissed back.

For a moment we just sat there with our foreheads touching and just smiling. Then she finally said something, "Woah."

"Yeah, Woah," We both laughed, "I've been wanting to do that since I saw you in the tunnel." 

"She leaned back and smiled, "So have I. What does this mean?"

"That we proved all our teammates right and once we tell them will have to deal with all the 'I told ya' so," We both laughed.

"Do you wanna tell them right away?" 

"I mean mine already know I'm gay so I am willing to say when you are. I don't want to rush you tho." 

She hands me her phone and I gave her a puzzling look, "Put in your number so we can talk while I'm back in Spain."

I smiled, "Perfect idea."

Just as I went to move closer to her the door rammed open and in came a bunch of drunk soccer players. Viv was the only sober one. "So they all just changed their flight tickets to two hours after the team's flight so now we're driving these lunatics to the airport tomorrow."

"Sounds good to me," I looked at Patri then back at Viv.

"Hey, Patri I'll give you a ride back to your hotel with the rest of them."

She stood up and smiled, "Thanks, Viv."

I stood up and walked to the door with the only other two sober girls and game Patri a hug, "It was nice talking with you."

"You as well," Patri then left and I turned to see two of my roommates drunk off their asses and all over the condo. "Where's Daan and Beth?"

"Viv dropped them at home before the rest of us left the bar."

"And their car?"

"Someone will have to pick it up tomorrow, not our problem," Jill said as she walked to her room.