-Quetzaltenango- Day 1

-December 7th-

The bus arrived at 9am. We took the scenic route as we drove up to 3000 metres, equally as high as San Pedro Volcano was. The fresh air at this altitude is priceless.

We stopped over at a petrol station and waited for half an hour, my driver then said I'd be jumping on another bus. When it eventually arrived I did just that, my large rucksack stashed safely in the back of the van and my small one at my feet. An hour later the previous driver called my current driver and asked to speak to me. He said I had left my small bag (that I had just bought to replace my old one) on the previous bus. But luckily he would be driving back for a second trip to Quetzaltenango this evening. Slipping!

This afternoon was cool exploring the city centre and walking up and down the steep streets. The main differences so far between here and Guatemala City are the noticeably fewer police with shotguns, a European cosmopolitan feel and the considerably cleaner air which is testament to being in Guatemala's western highlands.

 Eventually I asked around for a park and open space to workout, the hotel staff told me about a sports complex a few kilometres away

Eventually I asked around for a park and open space to workout, the hotel staff told me about a sports complex a few kilometres away. I went and the caretaker proudly showed me around the facilities, he said the most popular sports were boxing and football. He mentioned the local team Club de Xaljú MC were doing poorly in the league and he blamed it on the players smoking habits!

The locals and I ended up playing a 5 aside football game for some time and I introduced a notorious game played in England called red arse, if you know you know. They were quite amused with the outcome of the game, much to the dismay of the eventual recipient of the ball to the arse. Karma then struck as I sprained my glass ankle, they were quite amused by that too.

It is 6:30 pm here and I am currently waiting where the driver told me to, in the square of Parque Centro America, opposite McDonalds. It is a very nice square which reminds me of a town up in the French Pyrenees or Italian Alps.

It is hard to ignore the festivity cheer here as the buildings are heavily decorated, there is a huge tree and there is a fair going on. Plus it is chilly here at night thanks to the 2,400 metre altitude.

Unfortunately the bus driver has not turned up, which means no money for the night

Unfortunately the bus driver has not turned up, which means no money for the night. I spoke with the shuttle company and they said they will come at midday tomorrow! What a calamitous few days! I have been wanting to take a fast recently... perfect timing. Some things are destined to happen.