Chapter One: Arrival

She hailed from the shores of Aman, her mother did, born of a secretive love between two houses different in culture and standing. Vingarína, foam-crowned, they called her, born unto sand, seafoam, and power. There she resided, quietly mighty amongst the Firstborn in spirit – for she was a child of two clans, two noble houses of princes, with hair that sparkled like liquid silver, and eyes so bright which sparked with the light of stars above. Like her mother before her, she delighted in the sea, spending days upon days milling about in the seafoam her mother had named her after. Her father roamed the fields, with hair spun of strands of gold threaded with locks the colour wheat, calling her Meliniel, as was her father-name. Beloved daughter. And beloved she was, of shore and sea, of gold and silver.

But to dwell amongst the Falmari and the Vanyar she was not, for it was on those shores that she met him. A Noldor male, descended from a lesser branch of Finwë's line, and the grace of his face matched those claims. His hair was dark, his eyes a bluish-grey which seemed to reflect the sea Meliniel so loved. Téralosion, he was named, after the pointed ice and snow of the season of his birth. It suited him more so, what with the sharp lines of his face – a far cry from the soft features of her parents.

Silmëwen, he named her, and from then her fate was set. She was to be counted among the Noldor, no matter her seafaring heart or the emboldening words of power which resounded inside her mind. For though she may have held the sweet voice common to the Falmari, the land called to her so, beckoning her away from her beloved shores. With the Noldor she remained. So when the sundering came, she followed her husband. She went with him through the bitter ice to the lands the ones before them had crossed and left behind.

Arda, those lands were called, and they were so very different to the peace of Aman. There was something restless about them, but it was in those lands that they made their home eventually. They had followed Turgon's host, and joy awaited them in the city of Gondolin, such as it was called. For it was there that she was born.

A child Meliniel could tell would strive onwards and upwards, always seeking to better herself. It was a mother's intuition. And so she bestowed the name—

::

Her eyes snapped open, greeting the clouds marring the bright blue sky above her. The name escaped her, slipping through her grasp like the waters of the Belegaer. The Great Sea west of Arda. She could almost hear whispers of it in the air, beckoning her back to the homeland of her kin. The land where her parents had dwelled for a time. Groaning, she lifted herself to her elbows, a scowl painting her lips as a pounding began in the back of her head. Where was she? She wanted to know the answer to that, and quickly so.

The last thing she could remember were the bright lights of a car followed by a flash of pain... and then that strange meeting. "Oh," the sound left her lips, foreign and strange to the part of her which recalled simply being edain. In that strange world full of technology, without elves, dwarves, or any other of the free-folk of Middle-Earth aside from them. She had died once more in that strange world – for how else could she have encountered the keeper of the slain?

Mandos presided over spirits in his halls. The same halls she could vaguely recall before she had wound up in the body of Anna in a strange world. She had grown there from a babe – not the same kind of reincarnation known to the eldar, but a reincarnation just the same. Now it seemed it had happened once more, only this time she was in her old body. Well, a new body which looked the exact same as her old one. How it should have always been.

She should never have gone to that strange world, but her fate was a curious one, or so it seemed. Though she supposed she could blame being unmarried on that. The strangest fates always befell those ones, and she had been among that number.