Chapter Nine: Pride

"You wish to join the patrols?" Elrond stared at her, and Anna stood her ground, staring right back into those unnerving grey eyes that still whispered he'd uncover everything eventually. Celebrían was in the office with him, her expression one of concern as she voiced her request.

"That I do," she said, nodding sharply. "The only thing I recall being good at is fighting, and I have enough experience. I was a warrior before, and I wish to be one once more."

"You have started to recall your memories then," Elrond mumbled, hand going to his chin as he considered her request.

"I have, though my name still remains static to my ears," she said, careful not to give too much away.

"Any memories of your city?" He glanced over at her sharply, and Anna barely supressed the sudden urge to flinch. Gondolin. She was from Gondolin. The city that fell the hardest. The city she died in. Her hand went to her own neck, memories of fire and flame surging to the forefront of her mind, and her stomach rolled. She still remembered the scent of her own charred flesh. What a disgusting smell that was...

Anna shook her head, wincing. "All I remember is that it was beautiful..."

Elrond raised an eyebrow, but didn't press further, instead turning the topic of conversation back to her wish to join the patrols. "Lord Glorfindel—" Anna flinched, because of course their golden warrior was in charge of patrols "—is in charge of assigning patrols. It would be best if he assessed your skills and assigned you to one of the patrols based on that."

"Ugh." She shuffled nervously on her feet, barely managing to conceal the quiet grunt that left her lips. "I did spar with your sons a couple of days ago... would they be able to give an accurate assessment of my abilities?" she asked, praying he'd say yes. She'd made up her mind to avoid her precious lord. She wasn't worthy of him, and she was a damned coward. Afraid of him. Afraid of the fire that crackled in the hearth in the dining halls, given that winter was fast approaching. She crossed her fingers behind her back, praying that somebody out there would show her mercy.

And it seemed somebody was listening to her pleas.

"Very well." Elrond nodded. "I will send someone to inform you once my sons and Glorfindel have conferred on this topic. Rest well until then and do feel free to attend the training sessions in the meantime."

"Of course," Anna said, despite having absolutely zero intentions of taking part in training under her golden-haired training demon. She couldn't bear to go near him. Everything pressed down on her when she neared him. It felt like something was choking her. Like that balrog's whip once had. She felt like she couldn't breathe properly around Glorfindel. The walls seemed to close in on her, and the voice in her heard only grew louder. It fed off all her insecurities, especially those related to a certain idiot who'd once led her old house. Yet another reason why she was better off staying far far away from him.

"Your help will be much welcomed," Elrond continued. "After this latest incident... these woods around us may be becoming more dangerous."

"That will not deter me."

Elrond smiled for once, and Anna felt herself relax ever so slightly as he dismissed her. She hurried out of his office, blinking as she nearly ran straight into Arwen.

"Anna. How wonderful it is to see you up and about..." Arwen's smile turned slightly impish. "I see you have not earnt yourself any more injuries either."

Anna chuckled sheepishly, falling into step with the taller elleth as she walked through the corridors aimlessly. "It has been a good week so far," she said by way of explanation. "Hopefully it shall remain injury free, though my luck has never been the greatest when it comes to these things."