[14] BELIEF

.・。.・゜.・゜・。.

LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE

CHAPTER FOURTEEN

xiv. held back giggles

--------------------------------------------------------------

AFTER HOURS OF SPLASHING ONE ANOTHER IN THE WATER, the group found themselves on the rocks of a clearing. Beverly laid down on a towel, sunbathing and basking in the sun. April sat cross-legged, looking away from the boys — leaving the sight of her back.

The boom box that sat to the side blasting 'Bust A Move', April hummed the lyrics as she toyed with the strings in her hand. She had already made Ben one, they had been on the rocks long enough for her to finish it. She was just about done finishing Beverly's, pale blue and green winded together in a pretty design.

She clicked her tongue in satisfaction, finishing the end of the bracelet and knotting it tightly in lieu of burning the ends. Placing it onto her towel next to Ben's, she looks to her backpack which sat next to her and plucked through it for the three other bracelets she had tucked it there safely before placing them alongside the other two.

"I did it!" She exclaims happily, turning her head towards the boys — too excited with her creations to notice that they had been staring and were now wide-eyes and bridging each other to stop.

Beverly looks to her curiously, sitting up and putting her hands under chin and looking to April. "Did what?" She asks as the boys attempt to act casually. She knew that they were watching them, she just chose not to embarrass them.

"I made you guys a bracelet, here, this is yours," April rambles, picking up Beverly's and offering it to her as Beverly sits up and looks down at it in awe.

She smiles, looking up to April with a look of gratitude. "It's beautiful," She says as she extends her wrists, April tying it with a pretty ribbon tie.

"Thank you! I've never really had any friends before so, I wasn't really sure if it was weird... But, I'm glad you like it. Anyway, I... Uh, I'm rambling, aren't I?" April looks to Beverly with a pout and a shake if the head, the other girl laughing.

"I've never really had friends either," Beverly says, playing with the end of the bracelet gently. "I'm glad we're friends now though," She says just as Richie shouts.

"Who sent you this?!" He holds a postcard in his hand, attempting to turn it over before Ben snatches it from his hands and hides it.

Shaking his head in a panic, Ben responds. "No one!".

April tilts her head curiously, furrowing her eyebrows at the sudden outburst. He must've been hiding a secret. A secret secret, if he was acting so jumpy about a plain old postcard.