[19] SUNFLOWERS

.・。.・゜.・゜・。.

LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE

CHAPTER NINETEEN

xix. the house on neibolt street

--------------------------------------------------------------

THE GROUP UNMOUNT THEIR BIKES, abandoning them in the middle of the road and stumbling after Bill who was already approaching the steps of the house, climbing them by the time they enter the gate.

The house was the classic horror house, April taking one look at it and shuddering. A nauseated feeling taking over her at the thought of any of the me entering it. It was covered in dead foliage, broken beer bottles scattered around the lawn and the wood was moulding and brown. It was probably damp to the touch.

"Bill!" Beverly yells, dragging April by the hand towards the steps. "Bill, you can't go in there! This-this is crazy!" She reasons, sputtering over her words as April stares up at Bill's face.

A pout on his lips, eyes full of desperation and she wants nothing more than to run up to him, take him in her arms and make everything better. Bring Georgie back, tell him it was all a bad dream. But, it wasn't and Beverly's words go unheard.

Bill shakes his head, looking down from the steps to his friends. "Look, you don't have to come in with me. What happens when another Georgie goes missing? Or another Betty? Or another Ed Corcoran? Or one of us! Are you just gonna pretend it doesn't happen like everyone else in this town? Because I can't. I go home and all I see is that Georgie isn't there. His clothes, his toys, his stupid stuffed animals but he isn't. So walk into this house for me. It's easier than walking into my own," He says, his eyes glazed over and lip quivering at his words before he turns, wiping his face with his arm and approaching the door.

April sucks in a breath, her heart shattering at his words. He was hurting. She knew that before this but he's hurting and there's nothing she can do about it. Her heart aches as she listened to each of his words, hanging onto each one intently as if he were her favourite song.

"Wow." Richie breaks the silence, eyes burning holes into Bill's back that stood staring at the front door.

"What?" Eddie asks, looking to him curiously.

Shrugging, Richie looks to Eddie. "He didn't stutter once," He responds as he begins to follow up the stairs. Ben following close behind. April still lingering back beside Beverly, looking to her nervously.

"Wait! Shouldn't we have some people keep watch? Y'no, just in case something bad happens," Stan asks, voice wavering in fear as they all look to him.

Nodding, Bill looks around the group. "W-Who'll stay out here?" He asks.