5. smoke dreams

tobacco was all that drifted through her nose as she attempted to reach the bar where zen waited for her. a phone clutched tightly in her hands as she tried to get past the drunken patrons chatting and dancing up on one another.

the music wasn't of her taste either. it was repetitive pop music that didn't dare to go outside of the top 100, even if that meant playing a country song after a rap one. it was all a recipe for disaster, a recipe that meant she could cover with any alcohol she could get her hands on.

not long after escaping the rim of the dance floor, the girl noticed the familiar silver ponytail. thankful she finally saw a familiar face (or hair), she quickly made her way to where the man sat.

"zen!" she called out, attempting to grab his attention. the music seemed to be more tolerable in this area of the bar, the only loud noises being the chatter of others. but yet, zen still hadn't noticed she had arrived, still scrolling through the phone he held in his hands.

"zen!" she called out, once again. this time, however, it caught his attention. his head whipping back to where she stood, a bright smile on his face. he then pushed himself up from his barstool. he only wore a black button-up with matching slacks. his outfit would've matched the bartender if he hadn't left the top few buttons undone.

"hey kate!" zen's arms wrapped around her, securing her in a welcoming hug. his voice was cheerful and his breath didn't smell of alcohol, yet.

"hello zen." she replied, patting his back to signify the hug was over. she was finding it hard for herself to crack out of her shell. usually, by now, she'd be down several glasses and out on the floor with her friends. however, that was back when she had first turned 21 and jumin wasn't fond on going out. she just needed to relax, there's no harm in just chatting instead of going all out.

"it's so great to see you in a more..." his eyes looked past her to the dance floor, "mature setting."

"is the theatre not mature enough?" she teased, zen let out a hearty laugh and shook his head.

"not for that show, no. maybe in some of my other works."

the pair laughed in unison, it was nice having someone the girl could talk to. the club atmosphere made it easy to let the conversation flow as they made their way to the bar, taking stools to sit on.

"do you drink a lot?" zen asked, waiting for the bartender to finish with their current customer. he seemed so at ease in this setting, speaking to her as if they were in the comfort of a simple restaurant and not a music-blasting, cigarette reeking joint.

"nothing more than the occasional glass of wine." kate admitted, drinking wasn't her favorite past time lately.

"let me guess, is it from the winery you own?" the brunette's cheeks flushed red, because it was true. she had only tasted the wine from jumin's property, well their property. "i take your reaction as a yes." he smirked, his eyebrows raised.

"well, do you drink a lot?" she asked rather defensively, her tone laced with taunt. zen's smile dropped as his own cheeks turned red. embarrassed chuckles escaping his lips as he scratched the nape of his neck.

"more than i'd like to admit."

"i'm guessing it's not from your own winery."

"nope, it's from a case of beer in my fridge." he sighed, a cackle coming from kate. soon the bartender made their way over to the pair, asking them what drinks they would like,

"uhm..." kate stalled, unsure of what to even ask for, "i'll just take a beer, please." as she ordered, a knot in her stomach began to form. she hadn't tasted beer for awhile, unknowing if she was either heavy weight or light weight. additionally, the idea of jumin finding out where she was seemed embarrassing. feeling as if he'd be disappointed to find her like this while he was gone.