prologue

Prologue

📍MIAMI, FLORIDA
AUGUST 2011

I was waiting in the doctor's office when my ob-gyn doctor comes in.

"Hello, Miss Sagani, how are you today?" Dr. Johnson asked as she looked at my chart before taking a seat and looking at me.

"I'm fine." I answered.

"So, Miss Sagani, you haven't gotten your period in a while?" Dr. Johnson asked.

"That's right. I'm pretty sure it's because of the stress of work and graduating. I just got my doctorate from business school." I answered.

"Congratulations!" She said.

"Thanks." I said.

Dr. Johnson looks over a complex printout.

"Your husband couldn't be here today with you?" Dr. Johnson asked.

"No...I'm...single. Sorry, is there a reason you're asking me about my relationship?" I replies.

"Well, truth be told, I like to know upfront if the news I'm delivering is good or bad." She said.

"Just tell me." I said.

"Well, you're pregnant." She said.

"What?! How?" I exclaimed.

"I know this comes as quite a shock but you have options." She said.

"Options." I said.

"Yes, options. Did you have sex with anyone recently? Would have been about, oh, roughly ten weeks ago." She said.

"I haven't been with anyone, except... Oh." I said as I clearly thought back to the night of graduation when I ran to this guy at the bar.

What was his name again?

"Joshua." I said, remembering his name.

"Joshua, is that the name of the baby's father?" She asked.

"Yes, and we convinced this baby in the most sinful way." I answered.

"One night stand." She said.

"How did you... Of course, you're a doctore and probably have seen so many cases like this." I said.

"Yes, I have and that's also how I ended up with my husband, but anyway, are you going to be okay?" She asked.

"I just... I just cannot believe I'm pregnant!" I answered.

"Well, you're far along enough. We could just do an ultrasound." She said.

"An ultrasound? Okay." I said.

"Here... lie back, lift up your shirt, and take a peek at that monitor." She said, pointing to the screen above my head.

I lie down on the table. Dr. Johnson squirts some liquid from a tube onto my stomach.

"Whew, it's cold." I said.

"Sorry. I should have warned you." She said as she places the device onto my stomach.

A swirl of black and white appears on the nearby monitor.

"Now we'll just move this around... aanndd... there it is. There's your baby." She said.

"I don't even know what to say

"I don't even know what to say." I said as I look at the monitor.

"It's okay." She said.

"It just seems so alive and real." I said.

I watch the monitor, tears welling up in your eyes.

"What's wrong?" She asked.

"I have no one to help me." I answered.

"What do you mean?" She asked.

"I'm an only child and my parents are dead." I answered.

"Oh, dear, I'm sorry but I can give you these pamphlets about support groups and what to do when expecting." She said.

"Thank you." I said.

"You're welcome." She said.