chapter four

chapter four ~ what are you?

"So you guys are shapeshifters? That's so cool

"So you guys are shapeshifters? That's so cool." I said as I entered the house.

"Nikki, can you sit down please?" Sam asked, I nodded and sat in the chair closest to me.

Embry sat down next to me.

Emily offered me a muffin.

"Thanks." I said as I gratefully excepted it.

I sat there in silence nibbling on my muffin, I looked at everyone waiting for someone to start.

"Nikki, you..."

I interrupted Sam.

"I can't tell anyone, I know I've been keeping mine even longer then anyone here." I said.

"There are some legends that all of the Quileute tribe knows. They are all true." Sam said.

"What are the legends?" I asked.

"The Quileute tribe are, supposedly, descended from wolves. We are shapeshifters, who can transform into wolves in order to protect our tribe." Sam explained

"Protect your tribe from vampires." I muttered the last part, but, them being wolves, I knew they heard me anyway.

"Yes." Sam said.

"Alright, so how does it work?" I asked. "What happened to allow you guys to phase?" I added.

"We have a gene in our body that allows us to shift but, only a few people have the wolf gene. This gene reacts when a vampire comes to town, the ones with the gene have a reaction and get an incredibly high fever and is able to phase into a wolf." Sam answered.

"Huh, okay, and I'm guessing there are a few people other then Emily and everyone else who is present here, knows about it." I said.

They all nodded again.

"How did you guess that?" Jared asked.

"Cause I don't think Joshua would be traveling the country sleeping with random women who may possibly end up pregnant, if he knew that he was passing the gene." I answered.

"Now are you going to tell us what you are?" Paul asked.

"I'm a Nymph, I have incredible super strength, very agile, sense, speed, and I have control over earth, rocks and minerals. I can move around underground, then quickly rise up out of the earth and as you all saw I can do things with nature. Nymphs exist in an unusual state of limbo between life and death. In a general sense nymphs are immortal, however some nymphs can be killed or made mortal through rare circumstances, secrets that nymphs guard dearly but in my case my mother was a nymph and my father was human so I'm only half nymph." I replied.

"So, my baby sister may possibly be a shifter nymph." Sam said.

"Yes, but it is likely she will phase." I said.

"Really?" Emily asked.

"Yes, she will even if she never comes in contact with a Vampire." I answered.