Chapter Two

Now...

The end of another year was upon us. Leaving the house on the cold December afternoon I made my usual New Years Eve walk to the shop at the end of the road to buy a frozen margarita pizza and a bottle of wine. Something I had done for the last ten years now. New Years Eve just never seemed to hold the same appeal to me anymore, not like when I was younger when there was only one way to celebrate the start of a new year, by partying.

My life had changed over ten years ago and since then I just led a quiet life with my head down. As I reached the shop I heard my phone ringing in my bag. Pausing for a second to root through the old wrappers and papers in my bag to find my phone. It was my friend Jess.

"Holly, where are you? I'm at your flat and your not answering" came Jess's usual excitable voice down the phone.

"I'm at the shop" I replied as I walked into the store and headed towards the frozen section.

"Well hurry on back, I have something to ask you" Jess replied before hanging up.

I stared at my phone for a few seconds stunned as I composed myself. Jess was my best friend. We had met eight years ago when we had both been hired as paralegals at a law firm and instantly hit it off. Jess had then got to know one of the senior solicitors at the firm Nathan and two years later they had got married. Now the three of us continued to work together on a daily basis.

Considering we were best friends, Jess was the complete opposite of me. Where as I was quiet and would much rather have a night in, Jess was excitable and loud and was always out at some event. But even with these differences we still made our friendship work and we had always been there for each other. Jess knew almost everything about me. There was just one secret I kept from her... Tom.

I could just imagine her face now if she ever discovered that I had dated the now infamous Tom Hiddleston, the countries sweetheart. I could hear her screams in my mind as she would jump up and down demanding to know more details. Details that I wished to never share with anyone.

Once I had purchased the pizza and wine I knew that I couldn't really hold this off any longer so made my way back to my apartment. Jess was already in my building waiting for me. Sat on the floor outside my apartment door.

"You took your time didn't you?" She remarked as she got to her feet as she saw me climbing to stairs.

"I do go out you know" I remarked as I unlocked my apartment door allowing us both in.

"You mean like tonight" Jess commented raising her eyebrow indicating to the pizza and wine I was holding in my hands. She shrugged herself out of her coat and made her way through to the living room making herself at home. I placed the pizza and the wine down in the kitchen before following her.

"So what can I do for you?" I asked sitting down beside her on the sofa.

"Well you know Nathan's friend Mark?" Jess began.

"Is that the barrister?" I asked trying to run through in my mind people Jess had mentioned before.

"Yes that's the man, well he is having a party at his house in Hampstead this evening and your invited" Jess said excitedly as she began to bounce up and down on the sofa with excitement.

"Jess I'm not going" I said quickly before Jess could start getting too carried away with herself about the idea.

"And why not?" Jess asked sitting herself up straight on the sofa trying to look stern.

"I won't know anyone there. It just really isn't my thing Jess, you know that. I just want a quiet night at home." I replied.

"Aww don't be a party pooper" Jess protested. "Nathan and I will be there and you will soon get to know other people."

I sighed knowing I was losing this battle. "I have nothing to wear."

"Ah ha and that is where you do" Jess replied jumping to her feet before running through to my bedroom. I remained seated on the sofa as I could hear her going through my wardrobe only to return a couple of minutes later holding an emerald green bateau dress.

I stared open mouthed at the dress as memories flooded back to me. How did Jess even know about that dress? It had been pushed to the back of my wardrobe for a long time now and I certainly had never told Jess about it. It was a dress I had bought in advance. I had seen it in a store on the day that Tom had had his first audition for the first Thor movie, as I had had every confidence in Tom that he would land a role in that movie. I had bought the dress there and then to keep hold of with the intention of wearing it to the films premiere when it was released but of course that day had never arrived for me. Instead the dress had just stayed tucked at the back of the wardrobe unworn and forgotten about.

"Holly this dress is beautiful and it's never been worn. I can still see the tags attached to it." Jess said as she held the dress up.

I sighed not really knowing what else to say.

"Fine" I muttered. "I'll come to this stupid party."