Chapter Four

Now...

I looked back at my reflection in the mirror once I had finished my hair and makeup. I had been surprised that the green dress had still fit me after all that time and it clung to me in all the right places. It was perfect. I still couldn't believe that Jess had talked me into the party as I knew with Nathan there too I would just be the third wheel all evening. I headed through to my kitchen knowing that Jess and Nathan would be here shortly in a taxi and reached for the bottle of vodka in my cupboard and took a large swig. I was going to need some help to get through this evening.

The liquid burned my throat as I swallowed but I could already begin to feel myself relaxing a little. I knew that I was going to need plenty more alcohol to get my through the night though.

As I replaced the bottle back in my cupboard I heard my apartment buzzer go so after another quick check of my appearance I headed to meet them outside.

"That dress is amazing" Jess commented as I climbed into the back seat of the taxi beside her. "You look gorgeous Holly."

"Thank Jess, you look amazing too" I replied as I took in the black sparkly dress Jess was wearing. The courage the vodka had given me was now leaving and I was starting to wish that I had just brought the whole bottle with me. I knew that as soon as we arrived at this party I would need to find the alcohol supplies.

We arrived outside a large house in Hampstead and we could hear the music from inside. It seemed that the party was already in full swing. It was then as we were greeted at the front door by the host that I realised that we had met before.

"Mark Butler" I said surprised to see him after so many years. He had also been at Cambridge at the same time as me but had been in the year above Tom and I.

"Holly!" Mark replied his face full of surprise. "How great to see you after all this time. When Jess asked if she could bring her friend Holly I never in a million years would have realised that it was you."

We gave each other a hug before Mark told us he would come and find us again later to have a catch up as he just had to greet some more guests.

We wandered through to the kitchen in the house where all the drinks were lined up along the kitchen counter. I added the bottle of wine I had bought earlier to the line as my contribution before pouring myself another shot of vodka. Seeing Mark again after all this time was bringing back loads of memories of Cambridge to me. Most of them including Tom.

"Oh my god" I heard Jess whisper beside me as she began to tug at my arm. "It's Benedict Cumberbatch."

I turned to see that she was right. Stood over near the doorway through to the living room was Benedict Cumberbatch and a lady with shoulder length brown hair who I presumed was his wife. They were talking and laughing together each with a glass of wine in their hand. I was shocked to see them both at this party but not as shocked as when a third person joined in their small group.

It was Tom.

I stared opened mouthed for a minute shocked to see him again after all these years till I came to my senses. I had to get out of here.

"Oh my god, is that Tom Hiddleston?" I heard Jess say beside me although this time she didn't whisper. The sound of his name caught Tom's attention and he looked straight over at us and it was then that he first saw me. I tried to duck behind Nathan but by then I knew it was already too late. I could see the shock in his face as he had recognised me.

"I'm sorry Jess but I really need to get out of here" I said as I headed to the front door not allowing Jess any chance to argue. I heard her calling my name from behind me as I went but I kept walking. It was then when I felt a hand wrap around my wrist to stop me and as I turned to see who was holding me back my breath caught in the back of my throat.