one

remus lupin and sirius black were rushing with the rest of the order of the phoenix toward the department of mysteries, where sirius's godson, harry potter, and his friends were fighting for their lives against dozens of death eaters.

a wave of nervousness coursed through the older male's body, his left hand shaking in his boyfriend's right one. remus noticed this, and caught sirius's eyes. he gave the shorter a small smile, then focused his gaze back in front of him. sirius smiled, and desperately wished he could look back into those comforting amber eyes.

the order finally reached the department of mysteries, and were met with several doors. everyone looked around, trying to find a clue that could lead them through the right one.

sirius let out a shaky breath. "how are we supposed to find them?"

"are we or are we not witches and wizards?" remus questioned sarcastically, making sirius, along with everyone else, look at the werewolf. "we can apparate for merlin's sake!"

the male let out a chuckle, amused by how in any situation, his boyfriend could manage to come up with snarky comments.

soon, everyone had apparated to harry's location, and immediately went into battle with the death eaters, which forced remus and sirius to split up.

sirius had started to duel with some random death eater, their wands looked almost like blurs in the space between them. finally, sirius had caught a glimpse of his godson, who was sent crashing to the floor by dolohov.

sirius casted a stunning spell toward the death eater he was dueling, who, fortunately for sirius, didn't dodge the blast. the pureblood rammed into dolohov with his shoulder, away from harry, and starting dueling with him.

"petrificus totalus!" harry had sent a body-bind curse dolohov's way, making the death eater crash into the floor, unable to move.

"nice one!" sirius shouted over the commotion, and quickly moved harry and himself down, the two dodging stunning spells that were sent their way. "now i want you to get out of-"

the boys ducked again, missing more curses and spells casted their way. sirius and harry saw tonks across the room collapse on the floor unconscious, with bellatrix lestrange looking triumphant and rushing toward more people.

"harry," sirius exclaimed, "take the prophecy, grab neville, and run!" the older of the two then sprinted off toward his cousin, dueling with her now.

crashes and screams were heard all around the dueling cousins. sirius, unaware of the new presence of albus dumbledore somewhere behind him, continued fighting for his life. the two edged closer to the veil, a curtain-like abyss that loomed in the cavernous room.

sirius dodged a jet of red light bellatrix shot at him. "come on," he laughed at his cousin, voice echoing throughout the room, "you can do better than that!"

the next jet of light that erupted from bellatrix's wand didn't miss sirius this time, though, and hit him right in the chest. sirius's eyes grew wide in shock and he felt himself slowing falling back toward the veil.

"this is it," he thought. "i'm dead."

from behind bellatrix, he saw his godson, roaring with anger, trying to get to sirius, only to be held back by remus. sirius saw his boyfriend's face turn into one of misery, and he struggled with holding harry back.

the last thought sirius had, before his soul left his body and he completely drifted into the veil, was of the small box encasing a ring in one of the pockets of his trousers, and how he would never be able to propose to the love of his life.

-----

this got fucking angsty at the end i'm sorry. the next chapter should only make you cry happy tears though :^)

anyways, i hope you guys enjoyed this and that my writing isn't too bad haha.