two

sirius gasped for air, his chest moving up and down at a rapid pace. he sat up from his previous position of laying down, and took in his surroundings.

there wasn't much. all sirius could see was an expanse of white. "huh. if this is the afterlife, it seems pretty boring," sirius stated to no one but himself.

the gryffindor stood, and walked forward a little bit, trying to see if he can spot something, anything, in the distance.

then he heard it. the presence of someone he longed to see.

"sirius?"

the male in question stopped in his tracks and drew in a sharp breath, instantly recognizing that voice. his eyes already started to gloss over from the need to cry, and he felt as though his breath caught in his throat. sirius turned toward his best friend, and almost broke down in sobs at just the sight of him.

he looked the same as he did 14 years ago, with an unruly mop of dark hair, bright hazel eyes, glasses slightly askew on his face, and an enormous grin that could go on for miles.

it was really him.

"james," he breathed, his voice so quiet that sirius himself could barely hear the name roll off his tongue. despite this, sirius just knew that james understood that he called his name.

the grin on james's face grew impossibly wider, and he nodded his head, tears starting to well up in those eyes sirius had longed to see for 14 long years.

before they knew it, both males were running as fast as they could, each desperate to have their best friend in their arms again. as soon as they collided, the two sunk to the floor.

sobs and sniffles shook both of their bodies, the two unable to hold them in. sirius buried his face in james's shoulder, while james rested his head against sirius's. the boys clung to each other, holding one another close.

eventually they pulled away for a while, gripping each other's shoulders tightly. the two looked into each other's eyes and laughed. neither of the males could believe they were back together again.

they pulled each other close once more, holding on tight like their lives depended on it.

"james," sirius whispered into said boy's ear. "james, i missed you so much."

james let out a small chuckle and spoke, his voice soft and slightly shaky. "i missed you, too, sirius."

sobs wracked sirius's body once more. "i can't believe you're here. it was so fucking hard to live without you, prongs."

"i'm here. it's okay, padfoot. you're home. i've got you."

the long-haired boy felt a small tap on his shoulder, and reluctantly pulled his head away from james's shoulder.

his grey eyes met emerald ones, belonging to a woman with fiery red hair and a gentle smile on her pale, freckled face. "lily!"

sirius untangled himself from his best friend's grasp as quickly as he could, stood up, and engulfed the girl in a tight hug, lifting her off of the ground. lily laughed, and wrapped her arms around sirius's neck.

the male slowly put her down. "oh my god," he laughed. "i missed you guys so much."

"we missed you, too, padfoot," james replied, laughing as well. his wife nodded in agreement.

lily reached out and wiped the tears from sirius face, then turned toward her husband and did the same with him. she smiled at the two. "i don't think i've ever seen you boys cry like this before."

james and sirius let out small chuckles, looked at each other, and smiled. with just a simple look, the two knew that they were thinking the same thing.

it's so good to be home.

—————

this chapter made me 🥺🥺

also, even though i wrote this, the lines "it's okay, padfoot. you're home," and "it's so good to be home," make me just SKSHSKSHSK BECAUSE WHENEVER JAMES AND SIRIUS ARE TOGETHER, THEY'RE HOME.