Chapter 2

They were growing but neither really noticed since they spent so much time together. They looked like they would be sixteen in human years. Things didn't get awkward for them until preparations for the mating ceremonies started taking place. They were considered old enough to participate now which caused some problems. The majority of vixens knew better than to try to fight with Ume. She was exceptionally strong for her age. So they gazed at Kurama from afar but never approached him to invite him to the ceremonies.

The men would show off their skills to the vixens so they would be picked. Tsubaki was determined to court Ume and would start fights with the others to show off his strength. Ume would ignore the spectacles and would usually stay in her favorite room. Kurama was always cautious when entering the room ever since the day Ume had accidentally pranked him. She would laugh every time he would cautiously go around the room like something was going to attack him.

"Don't you trust me not to prank you by now?" she asked with a smirk.

"I have a lot of trust in you. Just not in the fact that you would pass up a prank."

She laughed again with that response, "Curses, you figured out that I have been trying to lure you into a false sense of security."

They laughed again and started to go through her scrolls and books. Ume loved to learn and Kurama made a good conversation partner. She lent him books and scrolls on ancient artifacts since they interested him the most.

"You have gotten very skilled with your plant magic. I would dare say you are better than the majority of our age group."

"Your skills with illusions scare me honestly. I can't tell what's real when you use them in training." A slight blush dusted Ume's cheeks from the compliment. Neither of the foxes gave them out very often.

While they were walking to her home, Kurama noticed that a lot of the Yoko had their Hoshi no Tama out in the open. It was a strange sight since they usually hide the ball from others. He questioned Ume about it since she didn't seem surprised by the sight.

"It's part of the mating ceremonies. You give your Hoshi no Tama to your mate as proof of your love and trust."

"That's risky. You can be controlled that way and they are basically holding your life in their hands."

Kurama expected Ume to laugh or make a joke about the situation but she had a serious look on her face. "Yoko mate for life so it's important to fully trust your partner. It's not something to think lightly of."

Kurama considered her words as he looked around. He wondered if he could trust someone with his Hoshi no Tama. His thoughts were interrupted by someone pushing him.

"Ume, you know I hate it when you spend time with other males," said Tsubaki.

"Then I guess it's a good thing that I don't care what you think," said Ume in a sickly sweet voice.

Kurama smirked at her response and the two walked around him. Tsubaki put his arm around Ume and groped her breast. She grabbed his hand off her breast and gave it a squeeze.

"Touch me there again and you will have one less limb," Ume said in a cold low voice and a dark aura emanating from her. Kurama wasn't used to seeing Ume so aggressive. He was fairly sure that he heard a snapping sound in Tsubaki's wrist. Tsubaki tried to free himself from her grasp but Ume yanked him off his feet and thrown him against the wall. "I don't know how thick your head is but I'm not interested in you and if you think harming my friends is going to make me like you then you need a reality check. Hurt anyone I care about and I guarantee you, you won't like the results."

She turned to Kurama and he would not admit that he flinched at her glare and dark aura. Her face quickly went back to normal like nothing happened. "I'm in the mood for takoyaki. Would you like to join me?"

Kurama nodded but didn't trust himself to speak. It was easy for him to forget since she often played harmless pranks and loved to laugh that she was a powerful demon and could be as cruel as she is kind. He just hoped he never was on the receiving end of her wrath.
Ume ate her takoyaki while humming like she usually did while eating. She noticed that Kurama was quieter than usual. "Is something wrong with your takoyaki?"

"No, it's delicious."

"Are you upset about what happened with Tsubaki? His wrist will be easily mended and I told you before that he is no threat."

Kurama smiled, "I was just shocked at how quickly your demeanor changed. I'm not used to you being so... serious."

She smiled back at him, "Serious or scary? Don't worry I highly doubt that I would ever need to be "serious" to you."

Tsubaki kept his distance after that. Kurama hoped that he got the hint that Ume didn't like him. Due to the mating ceremonies, there were many new couples. Kurama had mated before when he was a regular fox but had not felt the need since he became a Yoko. He noticed that some of the couples would go missing for about a week and then reappear like nothing happened. He had a feeling he already knew what happened with those couples during that time.

He wanted to question Ume to confirm but thought that might be awkward. It wasn't until she said something that he decided to ask.

"This time next year the village will have new kits. It's been a long time since our last kits were born."

"...Ume this might sound like a stupid question but do Yoko experience heats and ruts?"

Kurama expected her to laugh at his lack of knowledge but she blushed instead. "Yes, we do but not as often as regular kitsune and it is possible to get pregnant outside of them."

She went to her bookshelf and took out a scroll. She handed it to Kurama without looking him in the eyes. It was a scroll that detailed the mating ceremonies and biology of Yoko. It was highly detailed to the point that even Kurama started blushing. "One of my brothers can answer any questions you may have. My oldest brother, Kenshin, is mated with a lovely vixen named Kimiko."

Neither could look each other in the eyes. "Actually Kimiko wanted to see me for something important so I will see you later. Lock the door when you leave." She jumped out of the window and jumped across the roofs.

Kurama read through the scroll and felt his cheeks heat up. The illustrations were a bit much for him. He did find the vows that Yoko make to each other touching. He wondered what Ume thought of the vows and mating in general. He never saw her flirt with anyone or accept anyone's advances. Aside from the kits and the Hoshi no Tama comments, she never talked about the mating ceremonies happening.

While reading through the scroll, he found a part that he found distressing. He decided to go find one of Ume's brothers to get some answers. He found Kohei easily enough. He was meditating near his home. He had ink drawings on his face. Kurama was almost certain that the other Yoko had no idea that Ume pranked him.

"Kohei, Ume lent me a scroll and one of the passages worries me. Also, Ume drew on your face if you haven't realized yet."

The older Yoko opened one eye and sighed. "It's henna so it won't come off anytime soon. Though I rather have her pranking me than plotting world domination."

He motioned for Kurama to sit down next to him and show him the passage. Kohei didn't even blush as he went through the scroll. "You're worried about Ume being in heat since she will be defenseless," said Kohei, "My brothers and I plan on protecting her since her heat won't affect us."

He visibly relaxed when he heard that. He was very fond of the black vixen and knowing that she would be safe during her eventual heat eased his mind.

He went to the training field to wait for Ume. She was usually in that area when she wasn't in her home. Unfortunately, Tsubaki also knew this fact.

"Kurama, just the fox I wanted to see."