I.

September 1, 2002
Houston, Texas
6:42 AM
Beyoncé Giselle Knowles

The aroma of freshly brewed coffee crept up the stairs, making it's way into my room. From the opposite side, a warm gust of wind hit the side of my face, grazing my cheek lightly as if it was trying to wake me up. I had a tendency to keep my window open overnight. I loved the fresh, rejuvenating morning breeze. It motivated me. It reminded me that I had something to live for.

"Beyoncé, wake up! You slept through your alarm, you were supposed to be up at 6:30." My mama huffed aloud from downstairs. Though I couldn't see her, I could already picture the irritation on her face.

Sighing heavily, I hesitantly sat up in bed. I smacked my lips a few times, trying to get rid of the slight morning breath as my eyes adjusted to the sun peaking through the curtains.

That's when reality set in.

It was officially the first day of senior year, and I was late already.

Great.

"I'm up! I'll be down in a second." I yelled out, practically straining my voice.

"Better come quick, your breakfast gon' get cold." My dad said lowly while he passed my room.

I forcefully snatched the covers off my legs, sighing once again. I was fed the fuck up. School was the last thing I was looking forward to. Running my fingers through my honey blonde tresses, I finally stood up and made my way to the bathroom, freshening up for the long day ahead of me.

"Good morning, sis." My brother, Sean greeted once I made my way downstairs, setting his attention on me as he continued devouring the plate in front of him.

"Morning, fatty." I chuckled at the sudden straight face he gave me after I said that. "Where's Solo?" I asked, referring to my younger sister. Today was her first day of seventh grade, and I wanted to see her off.

"Auntie picked her up around.. 6:15-ish."

"Taraji?" I guessed. I knew I was right though. She loves going over there.

"Yep. You know how she is. Always wanting to be with her cousins because she can't relate to our old asses."

"I know, but I miss her. I wish she would've stayed and hung with my old ass for her first day of school." I said truthfully, slightly pouting. Solange is the only younger sibling I have. Sean and I are fraternal twins.

I was so excited when mom had her, especially because she was a girl. Sean was upset, due to the fact that he was now the only boy in the bunch. But he soon adjusted to having two sisters. We did everything as a trio, and now she's growing up.

It's crazy.

"Hi, daddy." I waved at my dad. He looked away from the TV that was in the kitchen, flashing a warm smile my way. I haven't seen him since yesterday afternoon. "How was work?"

"Tiring as hell, like always. Luckily, I have today off. It's much needed. Your mom and I are gonna go out and spend some time together later."

"That's good." I cheesed. My parents were the epitome of love. I aspired to have something like that one day. Not right now, though. I still wanted to have fun. I wasn't ready for commitment.

His eyes cut at the TV for a second while taking a small sip of coffee out of his mug. "Ready for school today? It's finally your last year of high school." He winked, trying to get some excitement out of me.

"Eh. It's gonna be the same old sh- I mean, stuff." I quickly corrected myself as one of his eyebrows went up. "Irritating freshmen, more work... It's disgusting. I'm ready to get my diploma and dip. These past three years have been a complete drag." I shrugged, making my way over to my mom.