07

𝔍

The bright white and incredibly sterile environment was unsettling. I never did like hospitals, but the smell of hand sanitizer and very strong cleaner meshing with the cries and screams of emotional pain and agony rang through the air, as men, women, and children were brought through the doors every few minutes, some unconscious, other's hurt and terrified.

It was then that I vowed to myself that no matter what, I would get out of this just fine, and so would Robin, and Micheal, and Maria, and Sara, and Austin, we would not let this hold us down for the rest of our lives, and I promised myself that this would be the truth if it was the last thing I did.

I had been pumped full of oxygen many times by now and had had my lungs aerated to clear them of smoke. I had been drinking a lot of water, and I had actually thrown up a couple of times, my bodies' reaction to the toxins I had inhaled. A store nearby had donated almost their entire store to the hospitals around so that everyone that came in could get out of dust-covered clothes for risk of breathing in any more. So I was now in a Henley sweater and jeans, with some random work boots.

Maria had changed into yoga pants and a t-shirt, as well as having her hair washed, and Micheal had been given sweat pants and a random button-up shirt, and they both had sneakers. We had been given washcloths and a bucket of lukewarm water to clean ourselves off after stripping of our clothes, and that had been enough to clean Micheal and I's short hair and stubble.

We were now huddled in the waiting room with cups of crappy hospital coffee, staring at the newsfeed playing on the television. They covered that the other tower had fallen, and every other thing that had happened. It was now sometime around 11:30 and we had all eaten some type of small and crappily made hospital lunch.

I was leaned over with my elbows on my knees and hands intertwined, with my head rested atop them. Maria had her elbow on the armrest o the chair, holding her head up with her legs folded next to her in the chair. Micheal sat leaned back in his chair with his arms crossed over his chest. All of our faces displayed frowns and eyes filled to the brim with stress and exhaustion.

I then decided to break the tense silence. "Where do you think Air Force One is?" I asked, turning my head to glance at Micheal and Maria. "Probably hovering and circling somewhere around Alabama, and Mississippi, maybe Georgia or Louisiana, Florida would be too predictable of a place for them to still be if there were still hijacked planes in the air," Micheal answered, leaning a little more forward with a sigh. Maria nodded in agreement. I hummed, knowing what he said was likely true.

"Where do you think they'll land when they get the all-clear?" I asked, thinking of where Robin would be. "Maybe an Air Base, probably whatever's the closest when it's given so they can get out of the air," Maria replied.

I glance down at my watch. It's nearing 1:00, and I haven't heard from her in the slightest. It's making me antsy. I squirm, uncomfortable and nervous without her here. I can't think straight.

Micheal places his hand n my shoulder to stop me from moving so much. "I get it man, but she'll be fine, calm down, stressing out won't do any good for anyone," he says softly, but firmly. I nodded slowly, knowing he was right. Chances are, that she would be fine. And that's when the live news broadcast changes. It shows what seems to be a room in a building somehwere. The headline shown says something about Bossier City Louisiana. As he walks into the room, I see Austin and Robin in the doorway, acting as security. The president begins his speech.

"Freedom was attacked this morning by a faceless coward and freedom will be defended. I want to reassure the American people that the full resources of the federal government are working to assist local authorities to save lives and to help the victims of these attacks. Make no mistake, the United States will hunt down and punish those responsible for these cowardly acts.

I have been in regular contact with the Vice President, the Secretary of Defence, the national security team and my cabinet. We have taken the all appropriate security precautions to protect the American people. Our military at home and around the world is on high alert status. And we have taken the necessary security precautions to continue the functions of your government. We have been in touch with the leaders of congress and world leaders to assure them that we'll do what is necessary to protect America and Americans.

I ask the American people to join me in saying a thanks for all the folks who have been fighting hard to rescue our fellow citizens and to join with me in saying a prayer for the victims and their families. The resolve of our great nation is being tested , but make no mistake, we will show the world we will pass the test, God Bless," The entire speech is inspiring but the only thought on my mind was that Robin was there, and she was okay.

And when he exits the room, I see Sara, and Austin, and Robin, and some other agents to escort him out. And the sight of her, untouched warms my heart and makes me happy. And as the people I considered friends stood around her, and as I saw the heartbroken look in her eyes, the unresolve, my heart fractured a little, a crack forming.

And as I stared at the TV, hope filled my heart like water rushing through an open dam, and I just knew somewhere inside me that everything was gonna be okay.