Chapter Fourteen, Part I

Halle: Friends Or Allies 

"Halle!" The king's voice echoed down the hall, rattling the glass in the windows. Reluctantly, Halle closed the book she was reading and placed it on the table. Squaring her shoulders, she rose and clasped her hands together as she awaited the inevitable arrival of her husband. They'd fallen into a routine as of late. After breakfast, she was granted freedom to roam the fortress of Dunhelm. Normally, she made her way outside to sharpen her sword or swing the weapon around. Sometimes, though, when it was raining outside, and she couldn't escape, Halle made her way back to the small nook with its lone, rickety bookcase. The space was covered with dust but provided just enough privacy and peace to let her have a moment to herself.

Until Clive came to find her.

"Halle!" he bellowed again. The noise was closer this time. Halle knew she only had a few seconds before the king came crashing into the room. He could send servants to find her, but most of the time Clive liked fetching her himself. He enjoyed trying to intimidate her when no one was watching.

"I'm here," Halle called, smoothing the skirt of her plaited dress. Clive appeared in the narrow hallway; his eyes cold. He strode into the room and immediately went to the small book she'd sat upon the table in the corner. Snatching it up, he threw it against the wall. Pages fell from the feeble spine, leaves scattering in the wind. Halle pursed her lips and waited patiently. She'd learned that her lack of a response annoyed Clive more than anything.

He thrust a finger in her face making her flinch. "I called for you," he snarled. "Why did you make me come find you?"

Cursing herself for cringing away from him, Halle raised her eyes up to meet his. "I did not hear you."

"Don't give me that shit," Clive remarked nastily. "I know you've been hiding back here in your little corner laughing at me."

"I wasn't-"

"Enough!" Clive raised his hand, threatening to bring it across her face. He'd only slapped her once, but it was enough to make Halle see stars for days. The fact that he was contemplating smacking her now meant that she was getting to him.

"I'm here now," Halle pointed out as she forced the corners of her lips down so they wouldn't show her smirk. "What do you need, dear husband?" She batted her eyelashes at him innocently.

Grudgingly, Clive lowered his hand. Despite herself, Halle relaxed. She may enjoy provoking the king, but he was far stronger than she, and Halle wouldn't put it past him to knock her out the window if he got angry enough. It was important to know the limits with which she could play in.

"You're to come down into the Great Hall at once," he said. A predatorial smile slowly spread across his lips. The motion made Halle's skin crawl. She swallowed. Clive only used that smile when they were alone in his bedchamber, right before his sadistic abuse began.

"For what purpose?" Halle asked, ignoring the dread pooling in her stomach. Am I to be put on show? What will he do to me now? She shook her head. I need to remain calm and strong. "Hmmm?" she pressed when Clive did not answer right away.

"There's going to be a demonstration." Clive moved closer to her, flicking a curl back from her face with a cool finger.

"For... what?" Halle asked as her teeth chattered. She clamped her lips shut tightly, but Clive saw the uneasiness in her face. He slid his hand down onto her cheek, stroking the soft skin there with his thumb.

"A show of justice." In one quick movement, his thumb and index finger snapped over her chin. He squeezed her face tightly, and Halle resisted the urge to cry out. "A hunter's been caught on the edge of the Shadow Wood." He shoved her face away, and she staggered backward, her hand finding the wall to steady herself.

"You mean to have a trial?" she asked breathlessly.

"You silly girl," Clive said with a short laugh. "We mean to have an execution." He walked toward the opening to the nook. He held his hand out. "Come with me." Halle hesitated. "Now," he said sternly. Halle stepped forward quickly, and Clive grabbed her wrist. He held onto it tightly as they emerged out into the hall. She was dragged all the way down the steps and into the Great Hall in a matter of seconds. When they reached the cavernous space, Halle was finally released so she could catch her breath. She looked around her. Rain pelted the large square windows, casting the room in a dull grey light. Pale sunlight filtered across Clive's stone throne as he sat down in the worn seat. The pillars that surrounded the space had been stripped of the tapestries depicting the Palisade Ox on a field of white. Now, they were barren and blank, dark watchers upon Ryker only knew what horrors awaited.

"Your Grace." Maddox, the king's councilor and healer came to her side. He wore a long brown robe, and his bushy eyebrows were as disheveled as ever as he wiggled them at her. "This way." He led her to the side of the hall. Some people began filing in, four guards along with some serving women came behind, their eyes permanently downcast. A handful of local tradesmen and townspeople came in after, each one moving to take up a position along the outer wall. There were probably thirty people in the Great Hall, all come to watch the execution.

While Halle knew that there was no throne for her to sit beside the king, she had at least expected to stand by Clive's side during this important matter. Apparently, she was supposed to stand off to the side, with the common folk.

"What's happening?" she asked Maddox quietly. The people around her were all whispering amongst themselves. Halle could barely hear their voices, but she did pick up a few words like "stag" and "mistake."

Maddox nodded toward the entrance. "There."

A piercing scream silenced the room as a man was drug into the hall by a pair of armed guards. He was kicking and flailing his legs and arms about, his face contorted and red.

"No!" he yelled. His wailing made Halle's stomach clench. She grabbed Maddox's arm anxiously. The man got one arm free and used it to grab onto a nearby woman. She cried out in surprise until the guards restrained the prisoner once more. They flung him onto the cold stones at Clive's feet. As soon as he was unleashed, the man darted to his feet and tried to run. The guards drew their swords and herded him back toward the king.

"Stop," Clive said coolly. His voice was barely above a whisper, but the force of the single word had the man closing his lips. Halle glanced at Maddox. The old man watched the scene with an air of regret, his wrinkled lips clenched tightly together.