Chapter 2 - Green Pearl.

Dec 13, 2019.

It wasn't the first time it had happened, and it wouldn't be the last. Millions of miles away across the cloudy sky the Sun was as hot as ever, though the revolution of Earth made it seem like the sun was setting now. Movements flashed here and there, flocks of birds were taking their flights to their nests. The blue color sky changed to light orange and then to light scarlet, which seemed like it was never going to stop. The pole that carried a light bulb and which stood in the front of the house was not lit, giving the feel like there was never a light pole.

The kitchen was starting to look a bit darker though the living room still maintained its glow. The in-built house heater was turned on as normal. It was a good thing - of course it was a good thing - but still. The radio nearby had not spilled the contents of its music yet, nor had the television which was neatly placed on a wall.

"You've got to be kidding me," Maan siad, folding his one arm across his chest. With a smile on his face, "Ashley replied."

"Could I get some water, Maan?" Josea said, feeling tired.

"Of course, Rain," Maan said, keeping the phone on the table beside. He passed the living room, passed near the main door towards its left. He pressed the switch board upwards and the brightness occupied the kitchen. Two more sandwiches were lying on a plate, same with cheese, lettuce, tomato and spicy mayo.

Josea looked up towards the kitchen and then towards the mobile phone that was on the table. The phone was not locked. There was a message from Ashley. "Beshi, found a real pearl, green in color. Going to post it on Facebook. Also, sending you a picture of it. Yeeeeeeeeeeh, soooo happy." And just below the message was a picture of a pearl still inside a sea shell. It was attached to one side of the opened shell. There was something about it, it looked magnificent.

He picked up a transparent glass which was placed near the sink in a metal board, turned the tap towards left and filled it with cold water. Back to where he was sitting, he did not forget to switch off the light and bring the extra sandwiches for her.

"She still calls you Beshi?" Josea said, tilting her head towards the phone and then to him with her eyebrows narrowed in a way that seemed surprised. She saw that he had placed a second plate on the table, this one with two sandwiches on it and carried a glass of water while sitting across from her.

"She does," said Maan, touching the glass with her lips. He couldn't see the blood on her lips, not anymore. He thought that the cut must not have been that deep. "I see you have read the message."

"Do I get to drink on my own?" Josea said, moving her lips away from the glass. She could see that he didn't seem angry. A mark fell on the upper edge of the glass.

"Mmm-hmm." Maan shook his head and brought the glass back, this time she drank the water. When the glass touched the table cloth, it was all empty. Looking pleased, he took the phone and touched the image which then enlarged. "Do you know where this picture was taken?"

Was she going along with this game of his? "I don't. We don't talk anymore," Josea said. She tried to move a bit. Her hands, legs and stomach was tied to a chair, on which she sat. The tight grip of the rope made it hard to shake her body. The more she tried to move/shake, the more the pain. It felt like all the horror movies were based on real life events.

"What happened to the 'Best-Friend' thing?" Maan said, looking in her eyes. He then shifted his gaze to his phone and typed few words and then looked back at her.

"Sometimes we may have the best intentions and the results are terrible," Josea said, with a feeling of sorrow and she continued, "I like the Gem."

"Pearly Gems," said Maan, with a sigh. "Would women through history have been so keen on the pearls around their necks if they'd known what was inside?" There is a mystery and preciousness that we attach to pearls, yet despite what some people believe, it has nothing to do with a grain of sand. Pearls, which have long been the treasures of the wealthy, are often the products of dead worms, which remain entombed at the center of the jewels, minute, translucent and ethereal.

"Is it meant to be horrible?" Josea said.

"What?" said Maan. He sat with his back to the wooden chair, close enough to touch the sandwich on the table if he needed it. "Which part?"

"This story?" Josea said slowly.

Keeping the phone on the table he gave out a cough and brought his left palm near his mouth. "That interesting?"