CHAPTER 2

Upon arriving at the palace, Aya immediately noticed the large gate and the surrounding brick walls. There were also white flags with white roses and golden outline on top of the protruding towers.

Aya's heart ached when she saw the white roses as it reminded her of her original world. She turned to Rune to ask, "Why are there white roses on the flags, while on your robes there are dragons?"

"White roses represent purity and innocence which is the Kingdom's symbol and high values. On the other hand, golden dragons represent the light and power which is the magic tower's symbol." Rune said as he stepped forward to inform the guards of their arrival.

When the guards heard that the summoning was successful and the priestess have come, they seemed shocked and jittery as they ran here and there. Moments later, a middle-aged man with glasses came to welcome them, "Is this the Priestess of light, Master Rune?... Greetings your holiness. I am Serav Monet, the prime minister and right hand of the king... Please follow me to the throne room." Mr. Serav said as he eyed Rune before turning to Aya.

"I'm Aya Reed." Aya nodded her head in greeting before they started walking again. She noticed that the hallways were long and empty. She expected a ton of servants and knights. Her curiosity won her over as she whispered to Rune, "Isn't it too empty here, Mr. Rune?"

Serav heard her and answered instead, "Servants stay in their quarters unless they are urgently needed. They are not allowed to appear before royalty or nobles. As for the Knights... they are stationed outside."'

They were nearing the throne room, so Aya became even more nervous, "I see... Uhm... Mr. Serav... Is there anything I should be aware of before meeting His Majesty?"

"No need. The Priestess of Light is equal in standing to royalty as you are the hope of the Kingdom's future." Serav smiled at her to comfort her, though his words only made Aya even more nervous.

"ugh... heavy pressure!" Aya thought as she clutched on her thumping chest.

When they finally arrived before a giant golden door. Serav announced in a loud booming voice, "The Priestess of Light, Aya Reed and the Grand Magician, Rune Wyeth have arrived for an audience with the Great king, Rudeus Arcquan."

The door slammed open as a gush of strong wind carried the booming voice of the king, "Welcome Priestess."

Aya saw a handsome middle-aged man with blonde hair, dark-blue eyes, sharp nose and pink lips. Beside him is a young man that looks like the younger version of him. Unlike the Asian-looking Rune, they were western-looking and more muscular.

The young man had a gentle look in his eyes and slight smile on his lips. His voice deep and soft, "Nice to meet you Priestess, I am the Kingdom's Crown Prince, Riverr Arcquan." His head slightly nodded in acknowledgment.

Aya woke up from admiring the duo as she tried to imitate his greetings, "Ni-nice to meet you too... I'm Aya."

Riverr chuckled at Aya's timid behavior as he called out her name as if trying to memorize the word, "Aya..." He then turned to Rune, "I didn't expect our Priestess to be this beautiful, Rune." His light tone showed how close his relationship to Rune was.

"It's been a while. Your Majesty, Your Highness." Rune expressionlessly greeted.

"Rune is not exactly a man with many words... what a sour company, isn't he?... You must have a lot of question. Go ahead... ask away!" The King good-heartedly said to Aya.

"Ah yes...I mean... no, Mr. Rune had been very kind to me... but, I must ask. This world is... what exactly?" Aya responded in kind.

"This world is... unnamed. The kingdom, however, is the kingdom of light called Ulndraia. The Kingdom of Ulndraia is the source of all light and has the highest number of magicians. Although, the kingdom had been swallowed by darkness for the last 100 years. The light disappeared when the Magic King fell into eternal slumber. The Magic King, unlike normal magicians that have either of the four elements, possesses light magic and can control light." The King answered.

Aya exclaimed in understanding, "Oh! I thought it was only night when I arrived..." She then curiously but timidly asked, "Eternal slumber? Isn't that... just death?"

"No. Magicians have longer lifespan than ordinary humans. They could only die if their Magic also dies out. The Magic king, however, did not die as his light magic only turned into darkness... and this change, affected the whole world..." The King explained.

Aya absorbed the information for a while before suddenly interrupting, "Wait... If he was so powerful then how could he fall into such circumstances?"

The King looked aimlessly outside the window and solemnly narrated, "A long time ago, the Magic King fell in love with his commoner servant. The servant was a widowed woman with a child. The Kingdom of Ulndraia was a conservative Kingdom that greatly valued purity. A woman that had been married, was deemed by the nobles to be someone that could contaminate the light of the Magic King. The nobles protested and spread false rumors, pressuring the royal family to sentence the servant to a trial and a public execution. When the Magic King returned from his journey and learned of this, he was swallowed by anger and called upon the darkness into the world. He used all of his energy to cast dark magic onto this world. Saying that they only deserve a world as dark as their heart... that their hearts were even darker than black, an Obsidian Heart. A person that contracted the Obsidian Heart have been swallowed by his own darkness and becomes crazy and violent. Only the light could cure and cleanse an Obsidian Heart... or else, they would eventually destroy everything including themselves..."

Aya felt pity for the Magic King but hearing the King explain any further, she gulped and realized where this conversation is going, "You... you don't expect me to cure this 'darkness', are you?"

Before the King could respond, Rune interrupted, "There was an ancient tale of a priestess from another world that embodies the light. We have tried to summon the priestess of light for years, but it was only now that we succeeded."

"But I don't have any magic!" Aya panicked a bit with the sudden great responsibility. She was aware that she was needed in this world, but she didn't expect it to be this large scale.

Riverr tried to calm her down, "Rune also possesses light magic. It was used as a medium to attract your light and summon you to this world. Rune's light magic, however, could only confine the darkness but could not cleanse it..." Riverr bowed his head to convince Aya, "So it can't be just anyone.. it could only be you... Aya, please help us."

"Only I can do... only me... I'm needed..." Aya whispered inaudibly under her breath.

The King saw her hesitation, so he took the opportunity to convince her even further, "Rune does not normally welcome strangers into his home, but he will be responsible of helping you to adapt to this world and will also teach you how to use light magic. We will also do our best to prepare you to be the most suitable Priestess of Light that is capable of saving this world."

It is not like Aya had any choice. She was already in this world. It is not as if she could ever return, considering her situation when she left her original world... so Aya steeled her heart, "Al-alright."

"We will be forever grateful, Priestess Aya." Everyone said happily and thankfully, as they bowed their head in gratitude. Even Rune had his lips slightly titled upwards.