Part 3

"Cornelia!" "Marilyn!" "Get the lighter!" I'll start the fire!"

"Wow! That had me scared!" whispered Marilyn.

"Yes, we're coming" grouched Cornelia. Scrambling to their feet, they both dashed towards the house after fumbling with the tangled zipper of their bright red and orange tent. After taking what seemed like hours (to them at least) Cornelia's father lighted the fire and by that time, Marilyn and Cornelia were both in the field behind the house batting golf balls into the pit 100 feet down.

Hands on her hips, she sighed "Those girls will never learn. They are not supposed to do that! The last time Cornelia did that!"-

"Yes dear" interrupted her husband, "Those girls need to learn lessons themselves. If we make their life too comfortable, they will never learn what they are absolutely not supposed to do!"

Meanwhile Cornelia's stash of golf balls was not nearly depleted. By the time both batted all the golf balls (with a few mishaps because Marilyn didn't know how) but the laughter made up for it and their surroundings had begun to darken.

"We better head back. Otherwise my parents might get mad if we stay too late."

"Okay" agreed Marilyn.

Back in the tent, Marilyn and Cornelia changed with fits of laughter and pillow fights ensuing between them. Roasting marshmallows and hot-dogs drained the liveliness, and both went to bed early that night. At around 2:40 a.m. the two friends woke up to the sound of a crash, and the unique smell of smoke. And then they knew. Marilyn dashed out first, followed by Cornelia. The whole house was engulfed in flames! The flames licked the sill of Cornelia's parent's bedroom. The roof was part way caved in. Marilyn dived for her cell phone struggling to dial 911. Her voice rose by the minute "We are at residence of 534682 Rose Drive. There is a fire, and I don't think Cornelia, my best friend's..."