Start of Something New

"Seo-yun, do you have your transfer papers?" My mom huffed, running around the room in a frenzy. "Yep, they're in my folder." "And your textbooks?" I patted my schoolbag that was resting on the floor. "Already in my backpack." "Well, what about your student ID card, your lunch money, your-" I cut her off before she could go on. "Mom, please stop worrying. I'm going to be fine. I don't want you to be stressed for your interview today." 

My mom stopped in her tracks and looked up at me. Her white blouse was un-tucked at one side, her fly-away hairs were sticking out from her otherwise perfectly groomed mane, and the purse she was holding in her arms had all sorts of important papers spilling out of it. Despite her disheveled appearance, her radiant smile lit up the room. "I can't believe how grown-up and responsible you turned out to be, Seo-yun." She cooed. "Thanks mom, but no time to be sappy, you're going to be late for your interview!" She stole a glance at her watch and her eyes widened. "You're right! And again, I'm so sorry I'm not able to take you to your new school today. But if I get this job, we could be out of this hotel room for good!" She did a little happy dance at the thought of leaving the hotel. 

It was a very glamorous place, but it was quite awkward staying here. We only were able to stay here because my mom's friend had pulled a few strings and we were able to only pay half price for one of the cheapest rooms here. We absolutely did not fit in with the glamorous, rich celebrities that frequented the hotel, and it showed. We really wanted to be somewhere where we felt comfortable in our own skin. "You're going to do great mom. Fighting!" I pumped my fists into the air as I walked towards the door. "Fighting, Seo-yun!" My mom returned the gesture and went back to her frenzied state as she continued to look for anything else she might need for her approaching interview. 

I opened and shut the door behind me and started walking down the stairs. I paused to look at the view from our balcony. Living in this hotel may not be exactly what we want, but the view from here beat out any other view in Seoul. From up here, you could see all the blooming cherry blossom trees lining the pavement, the city-scape in the background, and the small apartments and businesses tucked into corners of the streets. I smiled as I spotted fellow high school students in uniforms walking the streets, all heading to the same exact place - Jeguk High School. 

It was the most prestigious high school in all of Seoul where only the elitist, wealthiest, and highest society of Korea attended. Chaebols, children of famous people, and heirs of multi-million dollar conglomerates all congregated in this one building. 

I sighed and felt my palms become sweaty. What was I doing attending a school like this? I was the country girl from Jeonju that somehow managed to earn a scholarship to Korea's most expensive and elitist high school. I was promised by my former principal that this school would better prepare me for college and would look great on my resume. How I would afford college in the first place was beyond me. 

I made my way down the rest of the stairs of my apartment and started walking down the street. I looked at all my peers, in pairs of two or more. I could overhear them chatting about the latest idol debuts, talking to people on their expensive smartphones, and I even heard a pair of boys talking about the stock market. I felt for my flip phone tucked away into my pocket and touched my frayed jeans and sweatshirt, suddenly feeling self-conscious in this sea of wealthy teenagers. I dragged my heels and lingered behind the rest of my classmates, trying not to make eye contact with anyone. I could already tell that I wasn't going to fit in with this group. 

I tucked my hands into the pockets of my sweatshirt, keeping my gaze focused on the road in front of me. I stopped at the crosswalk and waited for all the cars to go by. One of these cars was a limousine with the tinted windows rolled down a crack. It was enough to see the girl with brown bags and a disgusted look on her face sitting in the backseat. She made eye contact with me for a split second. The icy stare she gave me sent chills down my spine. Her car quickly sped away before I could even begin to deduce what had happened. I shook off whatever uncomfortable feeling that moment bestowed upon me and crossed the sidewalk.