The View

We continued walking side by side until we were out of the school and in the courtyard. Young-Do looked around and then turned back to me. He grabbed my hand. "This way." He said with a smile. I followed him, wondering what he was so excited to show me. We turned to the right and he led me to a door at the back of the school. "After you." He gestured like a gentleman. I hesitantly walked up to the door. "It's probably locked." I told him. He just gestured for me to get on. I sighed and turned the doorknob. It opened! 

Shocked, I went inside to see a massive stairwell leading up to the very top of something. "Whoah." I stood there with wide eyes. Young-Do bumped me from behind and stepped in front of me. "Don't just stand there, newbie. Come on." Ah, what a brilliant nickname. I followed him up the stairs. It was about three flights until we had reached the very top. Standing in front of us was yet another door. By this time, I was out of breath and really not in the mood to see whatever he wanted to show me. "Wow, you're out of shape." Young-Do crossed his arms. "Don't push it." I reminded him. He smirked and opened the door for me. 

I walked out onto a rooftop. There were a couple benches placed in corners and there was even some old sports equipment laying around. "This is what you wanted to show me?" I asked. Young-Do, behind me, chuckled. "No, this is lame." He pushed me out of his way and grabbed my hand again. He walked over to the side of the rooftop and smiled, letting me go. "This is what I wanted to show you." I looked out to see the whole city of Seoul. There were highways, lights, cars, people, shops, movie theaters, restaurants, you name it! It all looked so picturesque, like I had just stepped inside of a postcard. "Wow.." A blast of wind from the cold hit us and almost made us lose our balance, but it felt nice. 

"Beautiful, huh?" He asked, looking out onto the horizon. "Yeah. It's like you can see the whole city in one glance." I told him. I gasped. "Look! There's where my mom is!" I pointed to a hotel in the street. Young-Do eyes went wide. "She's staying there?" He said, putting emphasis on 'there.' "Yeah, she is." I tilted my head. "Why? Is there something wrong?" He thought for a moment, I guess the shock still processing through him. "N-No, I guess not." It seemed like there was something he wasn't exactly telling me, but I didn't want to push him, so I just let it go. 

"Why, is it not nice enough for your rich, privileged blood?" I said, obviously joking, because it was one of the most prestigious hotels on the block. He laughed a bit. I looked over at him. "Privileged? Yeah, okay." "You're not?" He shrugged. "Some people might say I am. I personally don't think so." His expression morphed into a sadder one. I tilted my head to look  at him. "Why do you say that?" He looked like he was going to say something, but closed his mouth. "Ah, well, I don't have a jet pack." He smiled. I continued looking at him until he noticed me. "That wasn't what you were going to say, was it?" I asked. I could tell I hit the nail on the head. 

"Eh, whatever." He straightened up and stretched out his back. "It's getting cold up here. Let's go." He started walking towards the door. I followed after him, a bit puzzled by what had happened. I didn't strike him as the type to have secrets. But I wouldn't push him if he didn't want to share. He held the door open for me again. "After you." I walked over and put my hand on the door. "Hey, Young-Do?" He looked at me. I smiled. "Thanks for showing me the view." His face remained the same until he broke out into a small smile. A genuine one. I had never seen that on him before. 

"No problem. Now, let's go, newbie."