I - BACK WHERE IT BEGAN

     MYSTIC FALLS, 2009

     It had been fifteen years since there'd been any supernatural issue in Mystic Falls, and 145 years since that fatal night in 1864. The town became as stereotypical as any other small town, where everything was a normal as normal could be, where nothing ever remotely exciting happened. A look of panic and frustration on his face, Stefan Salvatore stormed inside the boarding house, thoughts going through his head he didn't want to believe. Yet, deep down, he knew that he was right. 

   "What's going on?" Zach Salvatore asked in confusion. 

   Stefan didn't pause, making his way toward the stairs. "Someone else was attacked tonight, Zach, and it wasn't me."  Not waiting for a response, he ran upstairs and into his bedroom, slamming the door closed behind him. 

   The first attack could of been an animal attack. Once is a fluke accident, but twice was too much to ignore. It was no longer possible to play ignorant to what was happening. Stopping, the the Salvatore looked around his room, his eyes narrowing on the open balcony doors. A crow sat on the railing, that squawked upon seeing him, flying in and resting on one of the higher ceiling beams. Stefan kept his eyes narrowed on it, and soon enough, he felt another presence stood out on the balcony. 

   "Damon."

   He shifted his head back toward the balcony, and sure enough, there stood his older brother. Dressed from head to two in back, a smirk he'd seen many times over the year etched upon his lips. "Hello, brother." 

   The youngest keep calm look, raising a brow as he nodded at the bird. "Crow's a bit much, don't you think?"

   Damon's smirk simply grew. "Wait till you see what I can do with the fog."

   "When'd you get here?" Stefan asked him. 

   "Well, I couldn't miss your first day of school." Damon shrugged, stepping inside and wandering around, glancing at his brother as he did so. "Your hair's different. I like it."

   Stefan remained wary, giving him a knowing look. "It's been fifteen years, Damon."

   "Thank God. I couldn't take another day of nineties." Damon shot back, amusement in his eyes at how unimpressed Stefan grew. "Ali agrees, she really hated all the plaid toward the end of it." His lips twitched into a small smile, his thoughts flickering to blonde hair and brown eyes and he loved so much. "That horrible grunge look? Did not suit you. Remember, Stefan, it's important to stay away from fads." 

   "Why are you here?" The youngest of two demanded. "Where's Allison? Wherever you are, she is never too far behind."

   "I miss my little brother." He shrugged, ignoring the last question. 

   "You hate small towns. It's boring." Stefan reminded him. "There's nothing for you to do."

   The smirk returned once again. "I've managed to keep myself busy."