II - NIGHT OF THE COMET

     Things had been tense at the Salvatore house since Damon and Allison's arrival. It was clear neither Stefan or Zach wanted them there, but they didn't care about their obvious issues with them. The couple came back to town with a purpose, and once it was over, they were planning to get as far away from Mystic Falls as possible. They'd taken residence in the bedroom they had the last time they came back to Mystic Falls, making themselves at home, further adding to the annoyance of the other two Salvatore's. 

   Messily tying her hair up into a bun, Allison looked over her appearance in the mirror, before making her way downstairs. As she got to the bottom of the stairs, Damon appeared and pressed a finger to her lips, signalling her to remain silent. She rose a brow in confusion, but he shook his head as he led her to hide behind a corner, nodding in the direction of the front door. 

   "Stefan?" A familiar voice called out. Realization hit the Webber girl, and she discreetly peered her head around the corner, making sure she wasn't seen. Elena Gilbert stood in the entry way, looking around the house warily. "Stefan?"

   A loud squawk caused Elena to turn back toward the door, ducking out the way as crow flew inside, just narrowly flying over her head. Allison noticed the smirk on Damon's face, and narrowed her eyes on the front door, flicking her wrist so it slammed shut. The Gilbert girl jumped with a sharp breath, turning back around toward the parlour, to come face to face with Damon and Allison. 

   "I...I'm sorry for barging in." Elena stuttered out, glancing from the couple toward the closed door.  "The door was...open." 

   "You must be Elena." Damon said, earning a small nod from the girl. "I'm Damon, Stefan's brother."

   Elena looked slightly surprised. "He didn't tell me he had a brother."

   Damon shrugged. "Stefan's not one to brag."

   "I'm Allison." Allison took Elena's hand and shook it, her brown eyes meeting Elena's. "Damon's girlfriend."

   Elena opened her mouth to say something, but Damon stopped her. "Please, come. I'm sure Stefan will be along any minute." 

   Not giving her chance to protest, the couple turned and walked ahead into the parlour, giving Elena no choice but to follow. They exchanged discreet, knowing looks, their smirks matching before they turned back to her. As Allison looked at her, she couldn't help but let her thoughts go to Katherine, the way Elena looked like her sister almost uncanny. Noticing the dazed look on her face, Damon moved to her side and entwined their fingers, giving her hand a gentle squeeze. 

   "Wow." Elena breathed out, looking around in disbelief. "This is your living room?"

   "Living room, parlour, Sotheby's auction. It's a little kitschy for my taste." The eldest Salvatore shrugged, glancing Elena up and down for a moment. "I see why my brother's so smitten. It's about time. For a while there, I never thought he'd get over the last one. Nearly destroyed him."