Why?

Izuku remembered the day his life changed like it was yesterday. Which, to tell you the truth, it was. Everything changed yesterday. He lost everything yesterday. On his fourth birthday. 

He remembered waking up with excitement and running to give his amazing mother a great, big hug. It was his birthday and school was out! He was going to go to the doctors later on today to see what his quirk was going to be. Would it be like his father's and he'd be like a fire breathing dragon or like his mother's telekinesis but stronger? Hey! Maybe he'd get both! But that didn't happen. At all.

After getting dressed and opening the present he got from his mom, which was a pretty black and purple wolf pendant hooked up to a gold and silver chain. Izuku loved it.

"Thank you mommy! I love it! I'll keep it forever and ever!" Izuku bounced up and down happily while putting on the pendant. 

Inko chuckled and ruffled his hair. "You're welcome sweetie. Now come on, we are going to the quirk doctor today."

Izuku squealed with joy before running out of the house with his mother close behind him. Neither of them noticed the slight glow coming from the wolf pendant before it faded away.

*********

"He's quirkless." Came the blunt reply of Dr. Tsubasa.

Inko blinked in surprise before looking at her son, who at one point of time, had been bouncing in his seat in excitement, now sat stalk still at the sudden declaration.

"I'm sorry, but what do you mean by quirkless?" Inko asked with narrowed eyes.

Dr. Tsubasa sighed tiredly. "Exactly what I mean. Your son does not have a quirk. He has in extra toe joint in his pinky toe that indicates he is quirkless."

Izuku's lips quivered but he didn't say anything as he looked down at his feet, green hair covering his eyes.

"That's impossible. Both my husband and I have quirks, so my son should have one too." Inko announced while glaring at the apathetic doctor.

"Listen ma'am. Your son doesn't have a quirk. You just need to accept it and leave." Dr. Tsubasa said while rolling his eyes.

Inko stood abruptly, glaring at the stupid doctor before picking up her baby and storming out of the room. How dare that low life doctor say that? Inko thought angrily. He has no right to be a jerk about it and he is wrong. My baby does have a quirk and I'm not giving up on him.

The two Midoriyas were outside the hospital now and heading towards Inko's parked car. Inko was still angry at the doctor and was thinking about taking her son to a different doctor when Izuku spoke up.

"Mommy?" Izuku sniffed while he held onto his mother.

"Yes sweetie."

"Can I still be hero without a quirk?"

Inko stopped next to her car before putting Izuku down. She bent down to his eye level and smiled at him.

"Of course you can honey. You can be whatever you want, you would just have to work harder than everyone else. And besides, I know my baby has a quirk. Dr. Tsubasa is nothing but a fool." Inko hugged her son. "Now come on. We'll go get some ice cream to cheer you up."

Izuku's face brightened. "Yay! Ice cream! Thank you mommy!" Izuku hugged his mother. She believes in him. He'll be a hero. For her.

*********

It wasn't supposed to end like this. They were just going to get ice cream, head home and bond with each other. They never expected a giant boulder to land on top of the ice cream shop. They certainly hadn't expected the shop to catch fire all because of a villain pursuit either. 

The number two hero, Endeavor, and an unknown villain with some type of rock quirk, were fighting in the streets, with a bunch of civilians around. And because of Endeavor's lack of caring for the people around him and only focusing on the villain, many innocent people got hurt. Inko included.

"Mommy! Mommy are you okay!?" Izuku tried to reach for his mom, who somehow got trapped under the boulder that was thrown on top of the shop they were in. The fire was steadily spreading and it was nearing the boulder pretty fast.

Inko groaned in pain. The lower half of her body was crushed under the boulder and her head was bleeding. "I-I-Iz-zu-ku. Y-y-yo-u n-ne-ed to g-get out o-of h-here. You need to r-run be-before you get hurt."

Izuku had tears rolling down his eyes as he tried to get his mother out from under the boulder but with no such luck since he was only a four year old little boy, who has yet to receive his quirk.

The fight between the so called hero and villain continued and Endeavor sent a large fireball towards the boulder villain, who, mind you, was right in front of the downed ice cream shop. The villain dodged the fireball as other civilians ran away but there were some who were too injured to move. The fireball though, was about to hit Izuku.

"I-IZUKU!!!" Izuku felt himself get lifted off the ground and was hurled away from the fire that almost hit him. He landed on the ground, hitting his head on the concrete below him. A scream of pain was heard from where his mother was and Izuku looked up to see that the fireball Endeavor threw, was now burning his still stuck mother, tears rolling down her eyes.

Izuku's eyes widened as pain flared out from his head. "MOMMY!" Was the last thing Izuku managed to say before everything went black. Izuku still never noticed the now glowing pendant around his neck as a barrier formed around him, protecting him from the chaos that was occurring.

*********

Izuku woke with a start. The pain in his head had faded into a dull ache. The four year old sat up and realized he was in an all white room. Hospital. He was back at the hospital. But why? Suddenly the day's earlier events came back to him and he starts to panic.

"Mommy!? Mommy where are you!?" Izuku was now full out sobbing while searching for his mother.

A doctor Izuku didn't recognize came running in. "Hey kiddo. I need you to calm down, okay?"

"Where's my mommy!?" Izuku was now rocking back and forth on the little hospital bed.

The doctor flinched as he remembered what happened the day before and just who brought the green haired child in.

"Listen, Izuku was it?" The unnamed doctor asked. Izuku just nodded his head.

The doctor closed his eyes. This was what he hated about his job. Being the bearer of bad news. But he had to tell the kid, a toddler no less, that his mother was no longer apart of their world.

"Midoriya Inko. Your mother. She, she uh...didn't make it. She was found burnt to almost unrecognizable degrees and trapped under a boulder. Do you understand what I'm saying kid?"

Izuku's expression was blank as mote tears fell down his eyes. He knew exactly what the doctor was saying. His mommy was dead. He won't be able to see his mommy anymore. First he was declared quirkless by a rude doctor and now his mommy was gone. No longer in his life. He would never be able to see her smile again. Never be able to hear her laugh again or have any of her home cooked meals. He'll never be able to feel her love again and he felt like it was all his fault.

And all he could think of was...

Why?