Chapter 4

"You can remember the smell of their hair, you can still feel the gentle ache of their bones between yours, close to the joints of every finger. You can almost still taste their lips on yours, the air they breathed out of your lungs. You can recall several people looking distraught, the ringing in your ears. You feel the warm rush of blood over your face followed by the cold splash of water as it poured down your face. You knew you were dead, you had to be. But there was still that dull pounding in your chest and the side of your neck. Your fist was clenched and it was like the lights went out. Like you woke up from a bad nightmare, and here they were, soundly in your arms again, warm and calm, wrapped in your embrace. You were so unsure, as it felt like a dream, the terror sinking in and boiling in your chest. Was that horror, that incomprehensible mess of shock, was that the true reality?" The man took a long pause, staring at the other individuals in the semi circle in-front of him. He stared into their eyes, having compelled them by sharing what they all thought had been a personal fantasy or dream. Their own unique imaginative instance that they briefly had lived the night before. They stared at him with this deep and morbid gaunt and gaping stare.
"They've been subliminally programming your minds and synchronizing your dreams through a form of hypnotization.They found this suggestive approach to be the easiest way to keep you all docile. You, gentlemen, are all sleeper cells deeply implanted rogues from our territory that were discovered and kept unactivated, actually enlisted and used against us. I only know and can confirm this is not bullshit myself because I too woke up to a similar situation, mind blown, having led such a successful double life without even being knowledgable what would become of the latter. See, now, and only this once have we started such a program to allow people you never become activated, or choosing to wake up. Before, and in my case, they just put on this old record recording and played it back for me one time." His pupils grew large around and drowned out most of the color of his eyes, he seemed to lose himself, the silence growing awkwardly before he gasped, as if just noticing his audience. He seemed panicked, standing and shuffling against the wall and to the door, leaving as his screams could be heard down the hallway. The lights turned off.