Chapter Four

//This chapter takes place almost a week from the last chapter.

She had grown comfortable living with the Undertaker, and life had been good. He made her special cat kibbles every day, which she enjoyed immensely. He let her sleep with him in his bed, he let her hang around with him no matter what he was doing. Every time he would call her by her name, she would feel a familiar flutter in her heart. All the feelings she had for each of the Black Butler boys would flood back each time she saw his green eyes, which reminded her so much of all the other shinigami. Her heart ached to see them all, but she knew he needed her. Late at night, he would confess his worries to her as they fell asleep. One of those times was the time where he told her his real name, Adrian. She had found out that just around the 'house', he would wear more normal clothes like pants and a sweater he had made especially to look like one of the ones from her world, and he would leave his eyes uncovered. His hair was often up in a ponytail, to her surprise. Honestly, in her opinion, it made him look hot.

She knew she couldn't leave him, but the idea of a coldhearted Ciel broke her heart. She would imagine Grell crying alone when William would reject him, wondering where she had gone. Or Alois, obviously starved for attention, trying to get it from his demon butler. She currently sat on the small cat bed that Adrian had bought for her, contemplating what she could do as a cat to help them all. A bowl of her 'special food' lay uneaten beside the bed, as her anxieties kept her appetite at bay. She hadn't been able to find any way to become human again or communicate properly with him, so letting him know who she really was would be impossible.

Her eyes were fixated on her paws beneath her, and her mind had gone blank. The sound of the door opening broke her out of her trance. She looked up at who was entering, expecting it to be someone requesting Adrian to prepare a body, but who it really was shook her to the core. 

It was Ciel and Sebastian.

The formerly short bluish-haired boy had grown considerably taller since she had seen him last. His face looked even more blank and stoic than ever. His movements were stiff and tense, and his voice was completely different. Soulless. Broken. Hopeless. 

"Undertaker, I need information." He called blankly, and a familiar silver-haired shinigami stepped out of the kitchen. "On what, Sir Phantomhive?" He asked, dressed in his usual clothes with his hair down. "I knew you would be coming, but not what kind of information you would need." He told the younger boy as he looked down at him.

The two began to talk, and she simply stared at them. Surprise and heartbreak mixed to create an unknown emotion inside of her. Her pale (E/C) eyes stared up at Sebastian, who's own ruby eyes flickered over to her. "Undertaker, you never told us you'd gotten a feline friend. You know that my young master is terribly allergic to them."

"Oh, I'm aware. Ciel, Sebastian, meet (Y/N). She made her way in here about a week ago and decided to stay. I've honestly felt blessed while she's been staying with me."

Now was Ciel's turn to speak. He turned his cold and icy blue eye towards her and scoffed. "You named it (Y/N). Why? Are you just trying to get her back any way you can? Believe me, I've tried. I've tried to imagine how she would react to things, or that she was with me, but I've never gone as far as to name a dirty street cat after her."

"Young master, I disagree. I believe she's quite beautiful. She does remind me of (Y/N), with her fur being that colour. Maybe it's good for the Undertaker to have a friend to keep him company here."

"I'm allergic, Sebastian. If he doesn't get rid of that thing then maybe we'll have to bring our 'business' elsewhere." Ciel snapped, his sharp glare turning back towards the shivering kitten. Her entire body was trembling with shock and hurt. 'He seems so resentful, but why? What changed him like this?' She thought to herself as she let out a small, pitiful mew. Adrian walked to her and scooped her into his arms, cradling her like a child. "Ciel, you know you don't really feel like this. You miss her just as much as I do."

"Undertaker, it's been five years. We have to accept that we won't see her again." 

"Young master, you never know. Maybe, someday, she'll find herself in our world as we did hers. There's no guarantee we've lost her forever."

Ciel scoffed and rolled his eye, then looked back to the Undertaker. "So, do you have the information I need?" He asked exasperatedly. Adrian nodded solemnly, then dropped her onto Sebastian's arms. "Take care of her, alright?" He said softly, before walking into a side room with Ciel.

His red eyes stared down at her with a certain softness. "He was right to name you (Y/N). It's a beautiful name for a beautiful girl. I wish we hadn't been so stupid as to want to return here. Life with her was one of the best times of my very long life." He murmured as he moved to sit down on one of the coffins. She felt a knot form in her throat as emotions closed off any sounds she could have made. Instead, she leaned upwards to press her muzzle to his lips. She had closed her eyes and let out a happy purr. Just for a moment, she almost felt as if she was human again.

Sebastian had been surprised, but chuckled anyways. "Cute kitten. I'd love to bring you home with me, but as you must have heard, my young master is allergic. He'll give me hell for even letting your fur get on me already. I've tried to sneak kittens home from under his nose, but he always seems to find them somehow. His nose must be a cat hair magnet." He joked as he stroked her fur. "Wouldn't it be awkward for names if (Y/N) really did come back someday? What would we do about you?"

She had curled up on his chest, her head laying on his shoulder. Her cheeks felt hot, and she still felt as if she would cry at any moment, but she refused to let any of her real emotions through. She couldn't give them false hope. What if this was really just a fluke, and she would be transported home one night without any warning to them? They already seemed upset enough, if they knew she was really here then stolen from under them again, who knew what could happen?