Chapter 1

Three Months Ago

"Time's up, Sophie. You have to make your choice now."

That voice. She hated that voice. It was so smug—so sure that it had won.

Sophie clenched her fists as she looked away, trying to hide the trembling in her hands. She lost her battle against her tears as her weak, unsteady voice said, "I'll do it."

It was barely above a whisper, but Vespra still heard it. She gave Sophie a small, sinister smile. "You won't regret this, Sophie," she said as Ruy took down the forcefield that contained Sophie's beaten, bloody friends. "I promise."

Z:Z:Z:Z:Z:Z:Z:Z:Z:Z:Z:Z:Z:Z:Z:Z:Z:Z:Z:Z:Z:Z:Z:Z:

Sophie sat on the cot in her room, trying to stop herself from crying.

They didn't even let her say goodbye.

After Ruy took down the forcefield, Gethen wiped her friends' memories of the confrontation—insuring that they only remembered Sophie hitting her panic switch.

Sophie had been knocked out and leaped to the Neverseen hideout, and Gethen had locked her alone in her room.

From what she'd seen after she woke up, there was a training room a few hallways away, and a cafeteria down the hallway her room was in.

It shouldn't have surprised her that almost none of the Neverseen lived here—their identities hadn't been revealed, and they had their own lives. But it was a bit unnerving when she learned that only Vespra, Gisela, Ruy, and Gethen would be staying in the hideout.

Across the hallway from Sophie's room was a bathroom. Inside was a shower, a sink, and, obviously, a toilet. It was also the only bathroom in the compound.

Lucky her.

Gethen pounded on her door a few minutes later. "Get dressed," he sounded bored when he said it. "Make your way to the training room. We have to see just how much we have to teach you."

Sophie heard footsteps retreating down the hallway,
So she put on the black fitted tunic, black knee-high boots, and black leggings before putting her hair up.

She debated weather or not she should wear her Neverseen cloak, and eventually pulled it on.

She slowly walked out of the room and down the hallway.

Well, she thought, at least I can get some information for the Black Swan I guess.

When she got into the training room, Vespra and Gisela were using telekinesis to set up targets and weapons.

Ruy and Gethen were waiting by the door, and Gethen shot Sophie a sinister when she walked in.

"You ready for your first day of training, Moonlark?"

ACK. I can't write 😓. I don't have an update schedule, I just update when inspiration strikes (god that sounds so cliche).