Chapter 6

Eliza's POV

"I was left behind." That was all I was planning on saying. They didn't need to know why I looked so familiar—they wouldn't trust me.

Sophie is my best friend—along with Luciella, Cece, Bonnie, and Elena. What I was about to do was to protect her. She's like a sister to me at this point, and if she died, my mind might break from the guilt.

Lena, Bon, Cec, Luci, I need your help.

Yes, I'm also a telepath. Why do you care?

A/N: Cece is underlined, Elena is italicized, Bonnie is italicized and underlined, and Luciella is bold and underlined.

What's going on?

Is this about Sophie? Didn't you just leave on that mission?

What's going on, Eli? You're freaking me out a little.

Liza, this better be important.

Just get here, and trust me.

I sent them my location, and severed the connection.

"So...why do you look so familiar?" Biana asked again.

Sh*t, I was hoping I could get away with that one.

"Well, I'm in Fitz and Keefe's level in Foxfire, maybe that's why," I answered. No one bought it.

Sophie jumped in, trying to help me. "Maybe you've just seen her around or something—I mean, she does a lot of missions that don't require being hooded,"

"No, I have photographic memory. I would remember seeing her. So why do you look so familiar?!?" Keefe interjected.

Crap. Where are those girls?

I took a deep breath, and reluctantly started, "You've clashes with my mom and dad multiple times, that's probably what you're noticing."

"Who're your parents?" Linh asked immediately.

I don't know how Sophie could stand spending days at a time with these people.

"I can answer that one."

Sophie and I whipped around, and I sighed in relief at the sight of the girls. Cece was the one who spoke.

"Seeing as we all share one parent, we probably all look a little bit familiar to you." Cece's always been the talker of the group. She, Luciella, and I all have the same parents. Bonnie and Elena have the same parents, too. We all have the same mom.

"It's extremely complicated," Luciella added.

Well, that's quite the understatement.

I looked at Sophie's former friends as my sister joined us in the circle. "Vespra is out mother."

Everyone went silent, and Sophie plucked out some eyelashes—a nervous habit of hers.

"Woah." Elena said, clutching her chest. "Can you feel that?"

"Yeah. It's strong." Luciella replied.

"It's the Black Swan. If they find us here, we're screwed." Elena looked over to me and continued, "What's your plan?"

"We're going with them."

★★★␈␈␈༄༄༄𝕋𝕚𝕞𝕖 𝕊𝕜𝕚𝕡༄༄༄␈␈␈★★★

We're at one of the Black Swan's hideouts now. We don't know where—all of us from the Neverseen, including Sophie, we're knocked out.

We're sitting in what looks like a living room—with stone walls, a brown carpet, grey couches and cushioned chairs and beanbags scattered around the room. We just finished explaining to the Collective what we explained to Sophie's former friends.

"So, wait," Biana said, eyeing me suspiciously, "what did you mean when you said you were left behind?"

I looked away, and hesitated before saying, "Vespra. I was her first experiment. Then came Cece, then Luciella, then Bonnie, then Elena. My father became more well-known in the Elven World a but after Luciella was made, so Vespra couldn't use his DNA anymore. She got a new guy's DNA for Bonnie and Elena. She started her experiments about a year before Sophie's conception, when she found out about Project Moonlark. All of us are about a week older than whoever is the next youngest. I was marked as a 'Failed Experiment'. Vespra got rid of me immediately, and I was put into the foster system in the Forbidden Cities. When I was about four, my abilities started to spiral. Vespra came back, wiped the memories of everyone who ever knew me, and took me back to the Neverseen.

"I found out about these four when I got back. I was no longer a 'Failed Experament'. I just had no trigger for my abilities. I was born with them already activated."

Biana looked over to my sisters, and asked, "What're your stories?"

Cece answered, "We were all made to take down Sophie. We were trained from birth to fight, and when our abilities triggered, we trained how to use them. After a Sophie joined the Neverseen, it was no longe our mission to destroy her. Instead, we befriended her."

Dex looked over to Elena and asked, "What're your abilities?"

"We're all telepaths. But I'm also a Mesmer and an Enpath." She answered.

"I'm a Hydrokinetic!" Luciella added.

"I'm a Shade." Bonnie said, sounding bored.

"I'm a Conjurer, Guster, and Vanisher." Cece called from her spot on the ground. She fell onto her back.

They all looked to me.

I sighed, reluctantly saying, "I'm a Mesmer, Vanisher, Empath, Shade, Pyrokinetic, and Inflictor."

"What's with your hair, how'd you get it like that?" Tam asked.

"We were born with it—some sort of side affect because of the experimenting." Luciella answered.

Sophie's former friends gapped at us, saying nothing.

"No other questions?" I asked. Nobody answered. "Great. Now I can explain what exactly we're doing."