Home

Tony got off the plane with Rhodey and Yensin at his side. There were no paparazzi, just as he had ordered. There was no Oabdaih either, thank goodness.

He approached the limo a few yards away. Happy and Pepper stood in front of it, Pepper's eyes noticeably red while Happy didn't stand as straight as he did before Tony's.... capture. He looked tired.

The inventor faced Pepper first. "A few tears for you long l-" Tony didn't even get to finish his question before Pepper was hugging him full force. It hurt his chest quite a bit, but he hugged her back with the arm that wasn't in a sling. He had dislocated it.

Rhodey gave him a concerned look from the side, now aware of the Arc Reactor. Yinsen was looking around in a sort of daze, Rhodey's hand on his arm probably the only thing keeping him there.

Tony ignored the growing jet spot on his shoulder where Pepper's face was resting, arm holding her a little tighter. He wished with all his being he could wrap his other arm around her, too.

She let go a few seconds later, smoothing out his suit. "Sorry," she murmured, clasping her hands in front of her and taking a step back.

He put a gentle hand on her arm. "There is no reason to apologize, Pep." He let his arm drop and walked over to Happy, his faithful bodyguard and one of his best friends through and through.

"Hap-" he clasped the man on his shoulder, expecting one back.

He did not expect to be pulled into a bear hug by the taller man. Tony felt himself be lifted a few inches of the ground, but the bodyguard was very careful about his arm. The inventor wrapped his arm around him, patting him on the back.

"Hey, bossman," Happy said as he sat him back down gingerly.

"'Sup Hap, watched any new soap operas lately?" Happy snorted.

"Alright," Tony looked between Happy and Pepper, stepping back to stand beside Yensin.

"Everyone, I would like to introduce my friend, Dr. Ho Yinsen. He was.... captive with me. We worked together to get out of there. I hope you can all get along."

"Hello," Yinsen said with a little wave, seeming to snap out of his daze.

After some introductions, they got into the limo.

"To the hospital, Happy," Pepper said, but Tony held up a hand.

"No."

"Tony, you need-"

"No, Pep. I don't need a hospital. I need a cheese burger and an emergency board meeting."

No one was really suprised at the first part, but the second part got a bit of shock.

"An emergency board meeting? Why?"

"We need to speed this plan up. SI weapons were in terrorist hands."

There was shocked silence from Happy,  Pepper, and Rhodey. Yinsen just nodded gravely.

"As Rhodey found out, Obadiah has been dealing under the table. Pepper, Rhodey, I need you two to get more information. What has Obadiah been communicating with the Ten Rings?"

"Got it," they both said.

"Hap, when this meeting is over I need you to come with me to the lab." Before anyone can protest, he hurried to finish, "I'm only going to be pulling up specs. I need Happy's help with the heavy lifting."

"What about me?" Yensin asked.

"I need you to help me run some scans on the Arc Reactor."

"Arc Reactor? What? Why?" Pepper asked, confusion evident on her face.

"Not the big one. This one." He flicked his fingers against the metal in his chest, listening to the soft pat as they made contact.

"I-is it.... inside of you?"

"Yes," Tomy said bluntly, then winced. He probably could have phrased that better.

Pepper's hand went to her mouth in horror and Happy's hand slammed onto the car horn, face red with fury. Tony is very glad they hadn't started moving yet.

"Oh my goodness...." Pepper choked out. He put a hand on her arm.

"It's okay," he tried to calm her.

"Not really." Yensin and Rhodey both muttered. Tony shot them a look, trying to convey that they were not helping.

"How did this happen?" Pepper asked desperately.

"It's a story that can wait until after the board meeting. We will all sit down and talk, I promise, but I need this meeting called." He looked straight into Pepper's eyes pleadingly, gently grabbing her hands without even realizing it. "Please?"

Her hands gently curled around his and for a terse moment she didn't say anything, eyes flicking between his chest and his face.

Finally, she sighed, squeezing his hands lightly. "Are you sure about this?"

"Positive."

"What about Stane?" The atmosphere became colder at the mention of his name.

"We'll have to work fast, but we can have him arrested by tomorrow. He won't be able to do anything."

Hopefully. Stane is full of surprises.

"Alright," she said. "Let's do this."

"Cheeseburger first," Tony declared, getting a few laughs and fond shaking of heads out of the other people in the car.

Pepper and him hadn't let go of each other's hands.