Christmas and A Proposal

Tony was sure he would always remember 1998 for the rest of his life, with Hammer, Vanko, Tony nearly dying, synthesizing vibranium, Natasha becoming a member of the family....

Oh, and the fact his daughter can create force fields.

Yep.

They found out on her first birthday, back in June. The cake had been eaten, twenty balloons were used as volleyballs, and presents had been opened.

All the adults (Tony, Pepper, Happy, Yinsen, Rhodey, and Natasha) were just chilling on the couch while she sat on the floor playing with her custom space-themed music box. She'd insisted Scooby Doo would be on the TV and everyone was good with that.

It was a pretty good show, afterall.

Using the couch, Aurora had gotten up to stand. She did this a lot and it would only be a matter of time before she was walking, then running.

She was growing up too fast, in Tony's opinion.

But then, she reached out her little foot. Instantly, they were all on alert. Tony was on the opposite side from her and was instantly leaning forward, arms out. Rhodey was filming.

She took a step, moving away from the couch. There was whispered encouragement all around, not wanting to break her concentration.

Another shaky step. Then another. And another. She was almost in arm's reach of Tony.

But then, she tripped.

Tony reached out to steady her, but the air solidified around her. She rolled as if in a hamster ball, arms and legs straight out.

"Oh my goodness," Yinsen said, breaking the silence. The force field seemed to pop and she fell right into her Dad's arms, eyes half lidded.

"That's new," Tony said. ".... and honestly? Pretty cool."

/

Like the Christmas two years ago, everyone besides Pepper and Tony were asleep. Except this time, on the couches and floor.

The baby monitor was close by and the two kept an ear out, but otherwise continued to wrap gifts and put them under the eight foot tree.

"Big year, aye?" Tony asked quietly. He struggled to wrap a teddy bear, the tape getting stuck on his fingers.

Pepper picked off the table with a chuckle. "Yes, it was."

He kissed her gently. "I love you, Pepper."

"I love you, too, Tony."

They continued to wrap presents for the next hour, the clock slowly creeping toward 1 A.M. By the time they were done, there was a mountain of gifts under the tree.

Happy snored and they laughed quietly. They brought out blankets from the closet and covered their friends before going to bed themselves.

/

"Mama! Daddy!"

Tony opened his eyes to see Aurora was trying to climb onto the bed. In one quick movement, he swooped her up, making her laugh in delight.

"Hey, star. What're you doing up so early?" He glanced at the clock. 5:38 A.M.

"It's Christmas!"

Pepper moved beside him, blue eyes opening sluggishly.

"Alright. We're coming." He threw the covers off of his legs and got up, Pepper right behind him.

The group in the livingroom were moving around slowly, undoubtedly been woken by Aurora as she came through. Natasha was the only one looking fully awake, settled on the couch with hot chocolate as if she'd been waiting on them.

Tony put Aurora down, watching her run off to the presents. He could tell which ones he'd wrapped as the wrapping was all... not perfect.

He ran a hand through his hair, trying to smooth it at least a little. Pepper's hand came into his other, gently squeezing it. They've survived another year.

Aurora tore open her presents faster than he thought possible, exclaiming about Santa having came. She struggled particularly with some of the tape and it was Uncle Happy to the rescue.

He gave Tony a look and the inventor shrugged sheepishly.

Aurora got a large assortment of space themed toys, a trainee telescope, stuffed animals, learning books, and a stocking full of treats.

"You both spoil her," Rhodey whispered to the couple.

"Don't say you don't," Tony whispered back.

"Touché."

Yinsen and Natasha snorted.

/

After all the presents were passed around and opened, Pepper and Yinsen cooked a giant breakfast. Tony had been helping, but he somehow caught water on fire and was sent out.

They ate on the couch (with Pepper's permission) and marathoned Christmas movies until nightfall.

Tony still had one more gift to give to give Pepper.

/

He lead her into the dining room where he had set up a two mugs full of hot chocolate. Tony was very concious of the case in his pocket with every step. 

They sat down and Pepper immediately took a sip of the drink and smiled. "Mmm, this is delicious, Tony."

In his head, he was panicking. Was he doing this right? He talked to her parents, they gave him the blessing. Should he have some big fancy dinner? Does she want to marry him? Will she reject him?

He twiddle his thumbs nervously and she noticed.

"Tony," her hand landed on his arm comfortingly. "What is it? Is something wrong?"

"Nothing really, I just- I-" he stuttered. He honestly would have slapped himself right then and there. Why was he so nervous? He took a deep breath and stood from his seat, hot chocolate untouched.

Then, he dropped down onto one knee. He forgot the speech he had practiced in the mirror, instead pouring out his soul with every word, every heart beat.

"Pepper Potts, I can not find the words to describe all you make me feel. You are amazing in every way. You are the center of my universe. My guiding light.  My other half. I can not live without you by my side."

He pulled out the black case, popping it open to reveal the ring he'd bought not long ago.

She stood, hands to her mouth.

"Will you marry me?"

"Yes. Yes. Tony Stark, I will marry you." He slipped the ring on her finger and was almost tackled to the floor in a hug, her lips on his.

Everything felt so right.

(Did I do alright?)