Scene 3

ADRIAN and DYLAN are walking home from school, bundled up for late fall weather. They approach a stop sign, where the two normally part ways.

DYLAN: (Stops abruptly; glances around.) Hey, isn't your mom normally parked here by now?

ADRIAN: Yeah. That's super weird, she hates running late. (Adrian's phone rings; he picks it up.) Speak of the Devil. Hey Mom, what's up? ... Uh, we're already close to Dylan's. ... No, zir mom's at work. ... I mean if you can figure out the Lyft app, go for it. ... (Noticeably perks up.) I could wait in Dylan's house. ... Pleeease? It's safer than standing around in the cold. ... ... So I can? Yes! Thank you Mom. I will. Loveyoubye! (Hangs up.)

DYLAN: She's finally letting you set foot in my place?

ADRIAN: Yup! If I don't go any farther into the neighborhood than that.

DYLAN: Damn, she really is paranoid.

ADRIAN: I mean, you can't blame her. Every crime watch map lights up on this side of town.

DYLAN: (Slightly offended.) That's because cops label every other group of brown kids a gang and frisk them on this side of town.

ADRIAN: Racist or not, they're just trying to keep people safe.

DYLAN: Didn't I tell you about that time my mom was getting mugged? There was a cop car at the end of the block that didn't move an inch. Sure doesn't seem like they're here to keep us safe.

ADRIAN: (Opens his mouth to retaliate, but is admittedly taken aback.) Damn.

DYLAN: (Softens.) Yeah. It's rough over here, but...you'll be fine, all right? (Ze waits for ADRIAN to respond. He doesn't.) Come on. Mine's the third on the left.