[17]: Finally, the answers

[Damien's POV]

        I stood by our bed, looking down at Rachel's sleeping form.  Even in sleep, it looked like her body was reaching for mine.  She had moved towards my side of the bed at some point as I had been getting dressed for the day.   It was times like this, that she looked the most beautiful.  The times I love her the most.  Seeing her need me, wanting me, even in sleep.   I needed to remember how lucky I was to be loved by this woman.  Remember she was who I had chosen for my life.  I had given her my heart.

        So why did it feel as if my heart belongs to another as well?  Two women that love me.  Two women that I was hurting.  Though Rachel not knowing of the conflict inside of me, has saved her from the pain up until now.  Neither women deserved it.  Everyday I am beating myself up more and more.  I can feel part of my heart calling for Leilani.  Part of me that belongs to her now, and I can't stop it.  It's like a run-away freight train.  I am not even sure if I want to stop it, even if I could.  I am truly a selfish bastard, but I never break promises, and I do not intend to.  Rachel has my promises, even if Leilani has part of my heart.

        Leaning down over Rachel, I place a kiss on her forehead as she sleeps.  I whisper in her ear how much I love her.  I watch as a tiny smile spreads across her face.  Her petite mouth open a fracture and a soft sigh escaped from her lips, right before she snuggles deeper into the covers of our bed.  I stood up then, and headed out of our bedroom to prepare for the day.

        The house was still eerily quiet with it being still a bit early, but I needed to prepare for Elder Alec's arrival today.  As I reached the desk in my office, I caught movement out of the corner of my eye outside.  Along the treeline I had watched Leilani so many times before, I caught the twinkling of light for a second, before it disappeared.  Not really sure of what it was, but forgetting about it.

        I sat down and began getting paperwork together, and other items that I needed to take care of.  I am not sure how long I had sat there, to be honest.  I was deep in concentration, that it wasn't until I heard knocking at my door did I look up.  And there, stood Alex in the doorway in front of an older gentlemen.

"Damien, Elder Alec has just arrived."

"Thank you Alex.  Won't you please come in Elder Alec?"

"Please, just call me Alec."

"Alec than.  Please have a seat."

"Thank you Damien, but I think we should not waste time.  I would prefer you take me to the prisoner at once.  I need to see it to confirm the Elder Council's suspicious.  If it is indeed what we suspect it is, then we can tell you more.  But first, I need to see the prisoner."

"Yes, yes of course.  Come this way." I stated as I led Alec out.

        As we arrived at the prison and entered.  I watched as Alec scanned the area, frowning in concentration.  We continued through the corridors and onto the cells.  As we entered the area the creature was kept, it turned it's head quickly in my direction as it had the first time I had seen it here.  Again, it tried reaching through the bars trying to strike at me violently.  Snapping and snarling, with such hatred and rage aimed at me.  I then turned to Alec, and watched as his eyes widened.

"I must get a closer look at that symbol your pack doctor told you about."

"Yes, of course."

        I instructed four of my strongest guards to restrain the creature.  As soon as they opened its cell, it tried to lunge at me again.  Thrashing about and snapping its mouth at me.  If I were a lesser man, I would have quaked in my boots, but I am not a lesser man.  I stood my ground watching as the guards pinned it to the ground on its belly.    Once restrained, I watched as Alec approached the beast, and squatted down lower to take a closer look at the symbol on its neck.