Chapter 8

Tom sat with his ear to the mouthpiece of the radio. The buttons on the side of the device were loose, and the radio rattled in his hands. He placed the radio on the bench and reached for the piece of paper. It was thin, with small tears on the sides and crumpled corners. There was a huge rip at the bottom, so Tom carefully opened it from the opposite side, and he glanced down at a faded map. Tom flattened the paper against the edge of the bench, and he ran his finger over some obscure words and scribbles written around a small area of land. Amber leaped off the bench and sauntered towards the front of the shop, so Tom quickly stuffed the paper and the radio in his jeans pocket and followed.

The sky was a deep scarlet, with masses of clouds that balanced above the horizon. Signs of grey popped out from the clouds that got darker as they moved further away. Tom gazed at the sky and saw the first hints of nightfall. He called Amber towards him, and he stepped over chunks of raised concrete to reach the entrance to the restaurant. Tom turned around to gesture Amber into the room, and he froze.

A group of 5 men in hazmat suits was crossing the street, making their way towards the restaurant. Tom watched them intently from the corner of the entrance, and Amber stalked slowly past him until she was visible in the dirt.

"Amber, get back... Amber!" Tom whispered.

The men stopped on the corner of the street and glanced towards Tom's direction. He quickly slipped back inside, breathing heavily. The sound of a gunshot rang out from the silence, and Tom gulped. He pressed his ear to the wall and listened.

"Well, it works."

"What about him?"

"Take the gun, leave the boy."

Tom's eyes widened in the darkness, and his hands reached for one of the spare planks that lay against the wall. He heard the laugh of one of the men and then stomping against the concrete. His leg started to burn, and when he looked down, he saw Amber had scratched his calf. He stepped back, and Amber swung her paw towards him again. Bewildered, he gestured Amber away from him, but she wouldn't move.

"Damn it!" Tom muttered. He heard the sound of laughing outside of the entrance, and he knew. Amber ran towards the kitchen, and he followed.

He made out the sound of creaking tile, and he pressed his hand to his mouth. Creeping deeper into the kitchen, he heard the voices getting louder.

Tom spotted a door on the other side of the kitchen, but it was in the hallway. He listened again.

"Find any parts?"

"Look here. There's some type of tent."

"I found a radio."

Tom's mind was screaming, and he dashed to the wall closest to the door. Amber ran past him before he could do anything, and she scrambled towards the tables. Sensing an opportunity, he swiveled around to the door and swung it open. Amber scurried outside through the entrance and disappeared.

Tom slammed the door behind him and caught sight of the long road. He ran.