004 ⎯⎯ Not Really My Type

— act one, scene four: not my type

act one, scene four: not my type

༺♥༻

     "And I am also pleased to announce that this year, seniors will be allowed to wear baseball hats on Fridays."

     The back to school announcements was always kind of boring, but she'd rather sit through them than do her homework.  Megara sighed, fixing her posture and stretching her arms out over her head.  She cleared her throat quietly.  "Go seniors," she snickered, biting her lip and winking at Ricky and Red who were staring at her.

     "And now for a special introduction.  This year, East High has a new drama teacher with an announcement that she swore, in writing, would not cost too much money.  Please hold your applause."

     "Why?" Ricky asked.  Megara and Big Red both turned to look at the curly-haired boy sitting in between them on the cold bleachers.  "Why do things have to change?"

     Megara put a reassuring hand on Ricky's shoulder as Big Red opened his mouth.  "Some things never change, dude.  I've been wearing the same socks for three days."  Both Ricky and Megara's faces contoured into looks of disgust and discomfort.

     "Go, Wildcats!" the teacher came out, shooting a tee—shirt into the stands like they do at concerts.  " Yeah.  My name is Ms Jenn, and when I heard that the high school where High School Musical was shot had never staged a production of High School Musical, the musical, I was shocked as an actress, inspired as a director, and triggered as a millennial."

     Ricky turned to Megara.  MILLENNIAL? he mouthed.

     "Auditions are tomorrow after school.  This show could change your lives, and I'm saying this as a background dancer from the original movie.  Third from the left, back row, red headband, and those are my real teeth.  And so meet your student choreographer, Carlos.  You know him as captain of the colour guard.  I know him as an unpaid, rising star."

NINI: I've spent two years in the chorus at East High.  I mean, it would be insane to think I might actually have a shot at playing Gabriella.  Right? 

CARLOS: As the school's resident High School Musical historian, I basically have zero chill about this right now.  I've seen the original movie 37 times, and the first 15 minutes of both sequels.

MEGARA: Just when I thought today couldn't get any more interesting.  Yay.